Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Where the Cows Come Home…Sew A-Long…

Half the fun of starting a NEW project is pulling the fabric and wool and auditioning it to see if it all ‘works’ together!  Ohhhh…man, I had FUN!

I went from this…

IMG_3954

To this, in two seconds flat!

IMG_4384

Today is the first day of our ‘Where the Cows Come Home’ Sew A-Long!  (bells and whistles are going off…start up that BAND!!)  Our sew-along group is small but mighty…Gloria and Renee (from the Sand’s Clubhouse) and Linda will be joining in on the fun in June, after school gets out! 

We are starting off with Block One of ‘Where the Cows Come Home’ by Kathy Cardiff and her daughter, Taylor Olvera… Love this quilt!!  Our plan is to stitch one block a month…which will be a totally do-able project, even for someone who is busy doing other things like working full time, being a busy mother, or someone like me…a retired quilter who sits around all day watching TV and eating bonbons!  I WISH!! haha

So I opened my book to Block #1- The Milking Parlor…and chose some background fabrics (out of my stash) that I am very happy with…(you can’t see the bottom green very well but you get the idea!)

IMG_4374

Rather than pull my bins of wool, I opted to check inside my ‘Down South’ Wool Stash…

IMG_4385

This is the wool that I take down south with me, which I use and replenished along the way!  I NEVER go down south without a bag of wool…NEVER!!  You see…if I ever get lost out in the desert I would STILL be able to stitch a penny rug or even a quilt if out for very long…who needs WATER?!  Yup…There is a lot of wool in that little bag!

IMG_4386

And yes, I found what I was looking for!  Look at those pretty greens and yellows!

IMG_4375

Well that was fun…my neat Sewing Room is now a mess but that’s OK…I have got the perfect pieces of fabric and wool to work on my first block so it was worth the search and resulting mess!  I’m sure Renee and Gloria are doing the exact same thing as I speak! 

IMG_4381

I will be posting more as I get my block prepped…Renee is new to wool and will need a wee bit of guidance.  This is the perfect project for someone new to wool!  The book is so well written and easy to follow that it is the perfect manual for a newbie woolie!  Renee and Gloria will, hopefully, be sending pictures at the end of the month to show us what their blocks look like!  You GO girls!!  And remember, it’s NEVER too late for YOU to join in!  Just sayin’…!

Now, I need to clean up this mess and get out the Heat n Bond Lite…stay tuned!  Mooore is coming!  (hey…is there a cow under this mess?)

Have a wicked Wednesday and happy Stitching!

9 comments:

  1. Love the pattern...your colors are beautiful.....is some of the background cotton.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the wools you are chlosing for this first block, looking forward to seeing your block completed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are going to be beautiful wools to use in the project.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pauline - I have the book and the yarn dyed cottons from Cardiff Farms. Wondered if the backgrounds in the quilt are all yarn dyed cottons or a mixture of yarn dyed and regular cottons? Not sure if I can keep up each month but am going to try. Love the quilt. Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those piles stimulate the creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You chose such great fabrics and wool! Your group may be small, but the rest of us will have fun watching you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got to do the fun part today, digging around, auditioning, and making fun decisions. It's the best kind of messes to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors for the first block. I am also new at quilting with wool. So I will love your guidance and suggestions! I should have thought ahead and saved some of the wool I cleaned out of my MIL's house last summer!

    ReplyDelete