Saturday, January 14, 2012

Snow GO! Hexie Runner Tutorial…

As promised, here is the tutorial to make your own Snow GO! Hexie Runner~P1160587

SEW here we… GO!

First you need some blue and white WOOL…I got out my little bag of blue wool…a lot of this wool has been recycled (Thrift Shop finds) and wool that I hand dyed before we left for this year’s Snowbirding trip.  I  cut my wool into squares about 1/2” larger than the biggest 5” hexagon shape on the die.  I ironed on some Heat and Bond Lite…(I use Heat and Bond Lite or Steam a Seam Lite to stabilize the wool and keep it from fraying).

P1160402

I got out my Hexagon Die and my Holiday Medley Die and …P1160411

…ran the wool through my AccuQuilt GO! machine…(I did one layer of wool at a time as this wool is very thick and fluffy). The AccuQuilt GO! cut the wool like butter..and probably could have taken more layers..  Now if you have ever cut wool hexagons by hand (the old fashion way) then you know that you can NEVER get a perfect cut..something always manages to go wonky.  Well with the GO! they are PERFECTLY EXACT…each one fits right up to the other and there are no wonky holes.. I LOVE THAT!! 

I ended up cutting out 12 blue hexies and 4 creamy white wool hexies… a total of 16 hexies…lickety split…in just a few minutes!!  POW!  ZAP! DONE!  The AccuQuilt GO! makes me feel like Wonder Woman!!P1160405

I also cut out two wool snowflakes using the same creamy white wool..now just look at THAT snowflake..took me 2 seconds…it would have taken me an hour or more to cut it out using scissors…and it wouldn’t have been this perfect or this pretty!  I love this snowflake!!

P1160406

Now comes play time…arranging the blocks…and this is what I came up with for the wool hexagon runner.

P1160407

I put the good sides together and  whip stitched the hexagons together using ordinary thread and small stitches…. (I was SEW glad that there was Heat and Bond on the back as it prevented any fraying!)  I know…I know.. I need a manicure…badly…but who has time?!  I GO!t to SEW!

P1160412

Here you can see the whole runner has been whip stitched together and you can see the coating of Heat and Bond…not very pretty for sure!  But wait…let me flip it over…

P1160413

…Ahhhh…the front of the runner is coming along nicely!

P1160414

Next step… I needed to secure those seams even more and HIDE those little whip stitches!  I used a creamy white wool thread (you can use Perle Cotton, embroidery floss, you can even use crochet cotton if that’s all that you have…).  I used a white wool thread and loved the effect!  I stitched the Fly Stitch and went around each block..DO NOT STITCH THE EDGE OF THE RUNNER.

P1160415

I then tack stitched each snowflake to the ends of the runner…and turned the white hexies into…P1160608..SNOWMEN!  It was easy to do…sew on a triangle of orange wool for his carrot nose and two button eyes…I kept it simple..

P1160610

For the backing, I laid the whole runner on top of a large piece of white wool and using my scissors cut around the shape of the runner…With this pinned in place, I then blanket stitched the edges of the mat, securing it all together. 

Instead of quilting it, I stitched little snowflakes through the layers.  This holds the whole thing together nicely…

P1160609

SEW there you have it..my Snow GO! Hexie Runner! 

P1160573

Done…and in time for the holidays…

P1160578

So while we lay around catching the Winter Rays down in Palm Springs..I hope you will fire up your GO! and dust off your Hexagon and Snowflake dies…this is truly an easy project!!

P1160579

..and for the whole Winter Season this little guy will be gracing my 5th wheel …reminding me that it REALLY is WINTER out there…somewhere…

P1160613

So there you have it…and if you don’t have an AccuQuilt GO! machine all you need to do is cut out a 5” hexagon template (I’m sure if you google 5” hexagon template you will find one) and GO! from there…have fun!!

Have a Sunny Saturday and Happy Quilting!~P

35 comments:

  1. Paulette- this is absolutely adorable- I LOVE it!!! I love the picture of it hanging on the palm tree!!:) And your tutorial is very easy to follow! You did a great job on it AND hosting your own Blogger Spotlight!!:) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic....now I gotta see if I have enough wool...cause I am on a fabric diet...((sigh)) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful, Paulette!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is totally adorable! Great job. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome,fantastic, wonderful... well you did it - a great tutorial post! I see lots of these little runners in the future... springs colours... fall colours with little leaves.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to try wool in my GoBaby now : ). Your runner is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute. I don't have a Go! But I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet but don't think I have enough blue to try this out , maybe I will start watching for some.Thanks for the tutorial .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute! Like a Totem Snowman on your Door to greet you as you GO play at the Clubhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love, love, love it. What a great project with the wool. Thanks soo much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you!! This is so cute. I don't have a Go! and I don't have any wool.... but I think these would be awesome for Christmas gifts next year. hmmm.... let me add something to my amazon wishlist right quick! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is SEW cute Paulette! Thanks for taking the time to show all of us how you made your cute snowmen table runner. I think I need to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just gorgeous!!! I love your snowman table runner!!!! Thank you so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial, Paulette! You must have been a teacher! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to need to do one of those when I get home! It's just too dang cute. It's pretty obvious what dies I'll need to buy next (smile).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tute and an even greater project! Too, too cute!

    If I send you down some of my wool will you cut some snowflakes for me? And maybe a few hexies as well? *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! I can feel the tug of working with wool really pulling me in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the tute Paulette...time to go thru the my wool....and maybe visit the Goodwill too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely wonderful tutorial and project! You did good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! It's fabulous!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks so good....I must try my cutter on wool...I like that idea....thanks heaps Paulette...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it!!! Such a great project!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lucky for you I didn't inhale MUCH of my soup when I saw this - oh my gosh Paulette, way too cute and clever! I don't use wool but I am so making this, and not just once either - remember those snowflakes you sent me? PERFECT!!!!! Love love love love love.....

    ReplyDelete
  25. How CUTE! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such a comprehensive tutorial. Thank you!
    I have this one bookmarked to make in the very near future. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic tutorial for a gorgeous project!! I just love this. AND I have the hex die, yippee. I am seeing some xmas gifts for next year. Maybe I'll find the snowflake die at JoAnns tomorrow with my 50% coupon in hand....thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for the tutorial! Love your runner with snowmen! and you do make it look very easy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! Fantastic tutorial. The runner is beutiful, you have an incredible attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so cute! I don't have a Go! but I do have Marti Michelle's large hex set that would be perfect for this! I want to make one now but I'm bookmarking it for later.

    ReplyDelete
  31. that is such a cute runner. thanks for sharing. I do have the hexagon die but I might just have to get the snowflake one too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just adorable. This would look cute along with my own version of my snowman runner. I'm "old school" and have never used a go pro. Is it easy?

    ReplyDelete
  33. VERY creative! Love the idea!

    ReplyDelete