Thursday, May 12, 2011

Now THAT’S a Novel Idea!

Last week I was one of the lucky winners of Pat Sloan’s new book, ‘What a Novel Idea’!!  Well talk about speedy mail because it arrived yesterday!!  Yahooo!!

I poured myself an afternoon coffee and savoured every drop…of this book! 

Now the idea behind this book is to give quilters some options into turning novel prints into gorgeous quilts.  Pat gives us twelve gorgeous quilts to choose from.  My favourite by far is the quilt on the cover!

P1130800

And it’s not because it’s called ‘Let’s Go Camping’ or because the print has cute RV trailers on it…I love the subtle way you can sneak a novel print into a classic quilt.  All you have to do is choose the novel print and then match the background colour to the other surrounding blocks(in this case green), pick a contrasting colour(red ) and everything pops!!  Simple, hey!   P1130801-1 I am a VISUAL learner…if a pattern has pictures in it I can usually figure it out.  I think Pat Sloan knows EXACTLY what I mean!!  Do you think she is a Visual Learner too? 

Now look at the picture below…See the green area on the left…that is where you will find ALL the cutting instructions…the middle white part is where you find ‘Making the Blocks’ and on the right side are the clear step-by-step pictures!!  You can tell this book was written by a master pattern writer and quilter!!  P1130802

I also liked the section on how to make quick pillows using the novel prints that you may have on hand…and what to do with big, medium and small novel prints….

P1130803

Yes, I am going to be looking at novel prints with a whole different attitude!!  Now THAT’S a novel idea!! 

Thanks so much to The Quilted Fish for hosting this Give Away and to Pat Sloan for writing this wonderful book!!


Have a thrilling Thursday and Happy Quilting!!~P

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a great book - enjoy Paulette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a fun book. I didn't enter that one, but I got lucky enough the last few weeks;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. and...I have soooo many novelty prints!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT A FUN BOOK!
    THANKS SO FOR SHARING!

    jldouglas@wispwest.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a great book! I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your win, Paulette. Looks like a great book and those pillows look so cute. Great for Christmas novelty fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on winning it! I have a lot of novelty fabrics in my stash, I think I'll need to get this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a neat book! Pat is a terrific teacher: last year she led a quiltalong for a Flickr group I belong to and her instructions were thorough, with lots of pics! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete