Thursday, August 8, 2013

Clam Shell Saga…continued…

On my Tuesday’s Post I was all fired about about Sue Daley’s Clam Shell Video…and of course I wanted to jump on the band wagon IMMEDIATELY!  By noon of that day I was at my favourite Quilting Shop looking for Clam Shell Templates…drat…nothing!!  (They did have Apple Core Templates so I bought three bags of those…Sue Daley is demoing Apple Cores  next week and a gal’s got to be prepared just in case the apple bites back!! :o))

I arrived home with NO templates for the Clam Shells…I thought of ordering them online…but it would be at least a four week wait.  By then the fire would have been long extinguished…and I would be left with a million Clam Shells papers wondering WHY I ordered them in the first place!!  So I turned to the internet…found a Free Template (gawd..I love the Internet!!) and proceeded to cut out my own gazillion pieces! 

It was like old times cutting out those Clams…Being a retired Grade One teacher I wondered how many cardboard pumpkins, hearts, flowers, shamrocks, birds, stars…the list goes on…and on…that I have cut out!  I could dazzle you with a pair of sharp scissors…but I digress! 

I forgot to take a picture of that lovely stack of cardboard Clams…I WAS remember a woman possessed!!  But I did remember to take a picture of the charm squares that are the fabric for my clams…I found two packs of Cinnamon Spice by Blackbird Design (love their fabrics!!) and my Sew Line Glue Pen!  Yay!

P1230881

And just lookie at these pretty clam shells…

P1230882

After all this, I have almost got one row completed…8 shells appliquéd and 8 more to go!  The next row will be the solid cream colour.  Two charm packs will give me just over 4 rows of Clams so I pulled fabrics that I can added to this line.  I used a few drops of Roxanne’s Glue to hold the shells in place before I started stitching.

P1230883

My Clams are just over 3” big…AND fun to make…but definitely not for the faint of heart!  This is going to be a long project….

P1230884

…but that’s OK…I have nothing but time!  Right?  When did I say Sue is showing that Apple Core video??

Have a wonderful SUNNY day and Happy Clamming!

22 comments:

  1. What a wonderful choice of fabrics for the shells. Yes, the internet is wonderful, you can find anything you want if you try hard enough. Even though it's going to take a while to complete this quilt, it is going to be one gorgeous quilt. What about your Go cutter, is there not a clam shell design for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fabric choice, those will be beautiful.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You cannot stop a woman with a serious mission! LOL

    This is going to be drop dead gorgeous, Paulette.

    I've loved every clam shell quilt I've seen. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez, well I've just been cleaning my sewing room and I took stock of my cardboard and postcards to refuse supply. Now that I see your fabulous clamshells, I realize I have no excuse not to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous! Nothing holds you back :-)
    I made myself to stick to the plan of finishing a couple small wall hangings but I will be cutting out those templates too! Thanks again for sharing that video. Sue's tutorials are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got me interested now in clam shells. Nope I can't start another project right now but it will be on the list. I love the quilt you showed in the previous post. Your colours are going to be gorgeous in this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you starting this project when you're the most enthused! I will be watching your progress to see how it goes for you. I kind of want to try an Argo template, but then I'd really be committed to following through.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your choice of fabrics is lovely and it looks like a fun project. I have pinned the link so now I need to find some pretty fabric. I can relate to your cutting skills since I did a lot of cutting when I was teaching kindergarten. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad I am allergic to shell fish...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Paulette,
    Wow, that is fabulous. As I was watching the video I was thinking why didn't Paulette use freezer paper? Then I started to think how I could use the the Go circle cutter, cut out the bottom sides for a clam shell.......hmmmmn. Still thinking on that one.
    As always you are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, I went right down that same road after watching the video. I thought where can I get those papers. hmm... did you list the link where you got the free template. I am going to do it too. But just a small project. I'll probably get the kids to cut out my templates for me. I love it when they help with my projects.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Remind me never to get into your way when you have a goal! Nice start on the project. The technique looks great glad to have to try it out and let us know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have fun with the clams...I have some little ones under way here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. STOP you are bending my will ... I will not start new and interesting projects that involve EPP! Love that charm pack, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE your fabric choices. Also sounds like you are tempting a few girls to have a go at Clam Shells, maybe I can send my 600 to you and you can get the girls to do them for me :o) lol hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous start to a project that you are going to love every stitch of the way! I look forward to seeing it progress!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very resourceful. Don't give up on this one, it is going to be a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is going to be wonderful Paulette! When you get going nothing slows you down!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What pretty fabric! Can't wait to see the finished quilt- it's going to be gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looked her up after last post and have watched a couple of videos which I totally enjoyed. Thanks so much once again P.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have a lot of energy girl! It will really be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are Johnny On the Spot making these so soon after seeing the video. Does the Go have a die for cutting the clamshells? But you really need them to be a certain size if you are going to get four out of a 5" square.

    ReplyDelete