Friday, February 12, 2010

I LOVE YOU, LORI SMITH!!

I LOVE LORI SMITH and her patterns…I never realized how much until I made her quilt…Fit to Frame #13.  It is the wool quilt hanging from the palm tree in the header to my blog.  Claire, my quilty friend from home, knew I loved this pattern so she surprised me with it for my birthday! What a lovely gift THAT was!!

Pinwheels for Caroline by Lori Smith: $8

image

Let’s get back to the Lori Smith pattern…a JOY to make…clear, easy to read instructions, a list of how much fabric/wool was needed, there was a layout page for each block and instructions for EACH page.  And her pattern was less than $10 and Claire said she ships FOR FREE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!!!  How many designers/quilters do that?  Please head over to her site and take a look- she has created gorgeous quilts with awesome, quilting friendly patterns!…AT A PRICE WE CAN AFFORD!!!  Her online shop is called “From My Heart to Your Hand” and I guarantee if you have a look at her patterns you will love them.  And remember…If I can make them ANYONE can make them!!

Honouring Emma by Lori Smith: $14

image \

Now what has got me going on and on singing praise for Lori and her patterns…WELL…in my travels I bought another pattern- NOT a LORI SMITH pattern.  I got it out yesterday to read it through…and I was SHOCKED at what it looked like!! S-H-O-C-K-E-D! It was hand written with words inserted here and there…like a rough copy of your term paper….I was appalled!  It looked like the designer had sketched out the appliqué pattern on a napkin and then photocopied it!!  It is a MESS!!  Will it be a joy to make?  I doubt it because it is H*#@ to read!! AND it certainly wasn’t under $10!!  I REALLY LOVED this quilt…and so I bit the bullet and paid $48! YES, $48!!! I have NEVER paid that much for a pattern before and I now I feel totally RIPPED off!!  When I pay that kind of money for a pattern I want – NO I DEMAND- Lori Smith standards!!!  There are no page by page instructions, no full size layout plans, no clear instructions, no list of how much fabric is needed…nothing but a mess!  Her idea of a layout plan is a small hand drawn ‘sketch’ up in the corner…

So you get the idea…I’m not happy with my $48 pattern!! Will I buy another of this designer’s patterns- NEVER!!! 

Lori Smith has spoiled me for other patterns…she has set the standard high…so QUILT DESIGNERS if you want to see what a quality quilt pattern looks like…then check out a LORI SMITH PATTERN!!   AND Quilters out there check out her patterns, you will LOVE everything about them…including the price!…AND FREE SHIPPING ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!!!  Need I say more…

Lee Mae’s Medallion Quilt by Lori Smith: $12

image

I LOVE YOU LORI SMITH!!

Have a Fun Friday and Happy Quilting!

PS – Thanks for the ‘rant’….I feel so much better..that is until I get out ‘that pattern!!”

18 comments:

  1. Wow! I hope you will be expressing your dissatisfaction with that designer, even if you can't return the pattern. Your quilts and projects are great. I'm sure you will be able to muddle through that pattern? As for Lori Smith, I am heading over to check her site out now - thanks for the tip. BTW, LOVE the header picture. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paulette for the info on Lori - I checked out her website and LOVE 'Ode to the 30's". I have some 30's reproduction fabrics waiting.........

    Delores

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've looked at Lori's pattern quite a bit but have never made one. I especially like the little quilts that they make up at Temecula Quilt Co. with her little quilt patterns. I'm guessing who's pattern you got that you didn't like. If it is, then I agree that the directions are definitely lacking, but I love her patterns enough that I put up with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a feeling I know who you are talking about...and I agree with you. It's disgraceful and a ripoff of the customer's hard earned money. I love Lori's patterns too. Have met her at quilt market and she's just as sweet in person. Another great pattern writer is Anne Sutton of Bunnyhill. She demands perfection in her instructions. (I know...I proof them for her)LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look at the quilt in the header and am in total awe of your work. When I look at this type of work, I imagine that it takes a long time to do a block. Is that true? Time and patience are not my friend, but your work is so pretty that I want to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too enjoy Lori Smith patterns however do find that I do spend time reading thoroughly through the directions and then tweek to my own shortcuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all of the info on Lori..I will ahve to check out her patterns.
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could sense your blood pressure rising through out the post and then settle at the end. Put that one aside and surround yourself with the things you love and enjoy. Will check out Lori's designs for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We need to have an offline discussion - I'm wondering if I have one of the 'sketchy' (in more ways than one!) designer's patterns, too. I'm working on the wool blocks right now and the lack of block layout in scale is driving me to drink (which would explain the glass of wine between my forearms as I type).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Paulette for the info on Lori ..i have always admired her quilt patterns online, but never bought one, This will be my inspiration to give them a go a now..
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I certainly understand your frustration. For that amount I would expect a superior pattern. Thanks for sharing about Lori Smith. I had not seen her patterns before but now that I have I will be purchasing several. Wow! such wonderful designs.

    carol fun

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great information Paulette for us wool beginners (me)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you should send "that" pattern back to the designer, together with a copy of Lori Smith's (with her permission) to show what a good pattern should look like, and demand a refund.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Paulette - long time no speak, but can you believe, on Friday, same day you have blogged this I received my first Lorri Smith pattern that I ordered - it was for a mini quilt as I am in an online stitching group and have to make a small quilt from fat quarters - the pattern Fat quarter Quilting: Exploring Batiks is just wowsome and cost a whole $12.00 pattern and postage to Australia!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh and p.s. absoultely love your new header and the quilt - gorgeouos - a wool quilt looks awesome .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you going to make the quilt?

    ReplyDelete