Saturday, November 7, 2009

It’s raining snowballs…..

It was your typical wet and rainy West Coast day here on Vancouver Island but I didn’t even notice as I was busy making these lovely little 3 1/2 inch  snowballs  ….aren’t they adorable?

P1030709

This is what one block looks like before it is sewn together.  I know I said that I would NEVER make snowballs again but these were just too cute to pass up….so James Bond was right ‘Never Say Never’!

P1030710This rotating cutting mat sure comes in handy when you need to trim squares or cut off corners.  I love it!  It works just like a Lazy Susan… You don’t have to pick up your block to rotate it for cutting, you just rotate the whole mat-making for quicker cuts and I would think more accurate cuts.   I bought mine at Michael’s Arts and Crafts using a 50% off coupon as they are fairly pricey. If you don’t have one I would add this to your Christmas wish list….P1030708My Christmas Star Quilt is coming along…. P1030711 I just need to appliqué fat berries near the holly and it will be ready for hand quilting. P1030712

I want to eventually  hand-quilt holly leaves and berries in the plain white squares between each star.    P1030713  P1030715

Don’t you just love the feet….no holes in those socks…whew!

Sweet Home Quilt Company is having another GIVE AWAY!!  It seems to be the thing to do on a Friday!  They are giving a whole new meaning to TGIF- THEY  GIVE-AWAY INCREDIBLE FABRIC!! (Get it…TGIF…) So head on over to see this incredible fabric by Moda!!  You’re going to love it!  Oh…here it is now!

image 

Have a Super Sewing Saturday and Happy Quilting….

17 comments:

  1. Love the star quilt, Mom... Looks great! Snowing in the Rockies, by the way! :)
    Erin XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the colors you are using in your snowballs, can't wait to see it finished. I have a rotating mat, but can't get the hang of it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always so impressed by what you are working on!! That Christmas Star Quilt is stunning!!! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snowballs? Today is the first day in nearly a week we haven't had a steady drissle of snow ...we've had rain instead! I'll take your version of snowballs anyday! And these little ones are so cute! And those fabrics are perfect for them!

    LOVE your Xmas star quilt!
    Take care and have a wonderful quilty weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the snowballs!! SOo cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a pretty star quilt, I love star patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Christmas star quilt is beautiful!! And the holly and berries hand quilted in the white will be perfect!! Love the snowballs too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mat is brilliant, saves your time, your arms and less stress on the fabric. Love the Christmas quilt, and the snowball pattern is delightful.
    another great post, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your snowballs - they must go pretty quick with that rotating mat, I've had one on my Christmas list for awhile, lol!
    I really, really love the stars - the holly leaves and the border are just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just love your Snowballs - the colours are lovely. the Star quilt also - the holly leaves so cute. Glad your daughter is keeping an eye on what your new exciting projects are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Christmas Stars quilt looks lovely, and hand quilting it! Good for you! My hand quilting is not pretty, so I usually revert back to my machine, where I am somewhat mor ecomfortable.
    Love your snowballs, much nicer than the rain we're getting here today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The snowballs look super, I love the colours you are using.

    I did giggle at the star quilt wearing socks, it must be REALLY cold in Paullette-land now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Christmas star quilt is beautiful, just love it. I bought me a rotating cutting mat 2 weeks ago :) It has been on my wish list for many years. I don´t regret buying it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your star quilt and how you did the border. As cute as snowballs are in a quilt...oh how I dislike making them! Recently I saw THE cutest mini snowball quilt and it made me want to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The star quilt is fabulous, and I love the border fabric that reminds me of little candy canes. I can picture it with quilting in the blank squares, it will be stunning. Thanks for the mat tip -- I go to Michael's all the time and will check it out! Thanks also for entering my giveaway -- I've enjoyed discovering your blog and am your latest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The fabric for the snowballs is really pretty. The holly leaves look great with the stars - that is going to be a magnificent quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your "Let It Snow" creation. I also have a turn table, mine is round and I just love it. Your star quilt is beautiful. How can you tell that Christmas is just around the oorner. I am sure that your Sweat Shop is in every Quilter's Home.

    ReplyDelete