Monday, April 25, 2011

Summertime is back and on schedule…

Remember these blocks…the pattern is called Summertime…and I have been working on it forever! 

image

Yesterday I was showing my daughter, Maggie all the projects that I worked on while we were down south… I grabbed the black bag that I carry my Summertime blocks in BUT the folder that they were in was GONE!!

Last time I worked on it was on the Blackball Ferry coming home…where I completed block nine.  I even took a picture of it…on the yellow leather chair of the ferry!!P1130495

I turned my sewing room upside down…no Summertime.  I turned it over again!  I cleaned out the cab of the truck…nothing.  I tried phoning the Blackball Ferries but of course it was Easter Sunday so no one answered!

My plan was to phone the ferries this morning…hopefully they have a Lost and Found.  It’s in a yellow plastic folder…you know the kind with the little pockets and the built in elastic closure. I put the cover to the pattern in the front pocket.  Inside the folder are nine completed blocks and three little baggies containing the cut out pieces of wool for the rest of the blocks…HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO CARELESS!!! Hours and hours and hours of work down the drain…literally…somewhere between Port Angeles and Victoria…

Then I started tracing HOW my black bag made it’s way into the house…it was carted in with everything else and dumped on our bed.  I then sorted through the stuff and put everything away.  I remember tripping over the handle strap and the bag fell on the floor…where it stayed until I put it in my sewing room. Hhhmmmmm….dare I look? 

YUP…it was under my bed!!  (RELIEF!!)

P1130644

This has taught me a valuable lesson!!  My stitchery cases are valuable to ME!!  I cart them around where ever I go just in case I might have a few minutes to work on them…WHY DON’T I HAVE MY PHONE NUMBER WRITTEN INSIDE??  This yellow case COULD have been left on the ferry…and with a phone number listed it could have found its own way home…

What about you?…do you have your phone number listed on your bag…just in case?  Just think of those hours of work…all those lovely blocks…gone??  YIKES!

From now on phone numbers go on everything…even if these thing land under the bed and get ‘lost’…maybe the Dust Bunnies will phone!

Have a marvellous Monday and Happy Quilting!~P

22 comments:

  1. Whew!!!! Thank goodness the bag was found.

    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the dust bunnies will NOT phone! Seriously, they simply won't. Instead they will gather their friends around the item and claim it. It can be a sad state of affairs but it's what they do. Trust me, I know - I've been a victim of their 'gatherings'. LOL

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart practically stopped beating when reading the story of the almost-lost blocks! Looking for lost things is so time consuming and emotionally draining. So thankful for the happy ending. How about including a business card with each project...just in case?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be a horrible loss, glad you found it. I tend to lose things in my own house, lol. Now I am putting my projects in containers to hold all the pieces, so they are together and easy to pull out when I want to work on them.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good idea to get your heart rate up at least once a day, Paulette. So glad the dust bunnies were taking good care of your blocks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. I would have been so "freaked." Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you found them! You make a good point, I don't have any identifying information in my knitting, quilting or stitching bags. My biggest problem though is putting things in a "safe" place. So safe even I can't find them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I know you are relieved that you never lost possession of your project. And the phone number idea is a good one. I have misplaced projects and have thought I left them somewhere. Could happen to any of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew...so glad you found them safe and sound! I was beginning to have an anxiety attack FOR you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great idea. Haven't lost anything yet but I can tell my turn is coming! It's inevitable!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. a close call saved by the 'bunnies'!!..great news for you!..I hate when I can't find something!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you found your blocks! I hardly even manage to work on stuff at home let alone take it places with me. LOL So I don't need to worry about ever losing stuff. Now if I could just figure out why I'm too lazy to work on stuff at home! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was one close call!!! Glad it had a happy ending. It's going to be a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That would have sucked! Lucky you found those blocks and it's a great idea to put your name and number in your stitchery cases. Usually we're so concerned with putting all this info on the finished product not the work in progress. I can't wait to see your finished project. It's beautiful already.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you found it. I had a sick feeling in my stomach as I read your post. Putting your phone number on cases is a great idea. I will do it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad that you found it! Putting your phone number on folders or bags is a wonderful suggestion. Definintely something I will start doing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I bet you died a thousand deaths! Only a hand stitcher would appreciate the panic and incredible sense of loss. I am SO glad you found it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good point but ya know sometimes if it makes sense it just won't get done, besides i think those dust bunnies would just hold it hostage. :^) Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes! Luckily I DID have my phone number on a label inside my applique case. I was going to a retreat and I took along my Primitive Garden blocks to work on. Somehow I lost the case on the side of the highway on the way up. (We figure I must have put it on top of the trunk when I got my purse out of the back seat at the gas station. It stayed on a long time - it was found 40 km away from the station!) The lady who found it called my house and my husband called me at the retreat before I even realized I was missing it. Needless to say, I bought that lady a huge box of chocolates, and labeled EVERYTHING when I got home!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! You are sooooooo lucky you found it! I left one of my folders in the shopping cart at Joann Fabrics, but I always have an address label on them with my email addrss and name. Luckily they kept my folder till I made the trip back to pick it up!
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would have detoured past the bathroom to throw up! Whew - so GLAD you found them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the fact that your memory didn't let you down. Well done retracing your steps, that is not always an easy thing to do, and I do speak from experience.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! That was a close one! I love that quilt!

    ReplyDelete