Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Sights of San Diego…

When the temperature hits 100F it’s time to get out of Dodge… I mean Desert Hot Springs!  So that’s exactly what we did!  We decided to go to San Diego…which is only a two hour drive from here.

Of course we HAD to stretch our legs in Temecula and La Mesa…but only for quick visits…we were, after all heading to San Diego. 

I will share my Temecula and La Mesa stops in tomorrow’s post…but today we will sight see in San Diego…a gorgeous city right on the ocean…which meant that it was a lot cooler…in the low 80s..PERFECT!

Just look at this picture of San Diego!!  Spectacular!!  Such a beautiful city!

P1130245

Our first stop was Old Town San Diego..P1130211

…and the real thing…

P1130243

Old Town San Diego is considered the "birthplace" of California with San Diego being the site of the first permanent Spanish settlement in California. It was here in 1769, that Father Junipero Serra came to establish the very first mission in a chain of 21 missions that were to be the cornerstone of California’s colonization.  That’s your history lesson for the day!!  School’s out…

  Open-mouthed smile

Lots to see…and music followed us everywhere!

P1130240

…and the gardens were magnificent!!

P1130212

Is this not the cutest…I need to get me a wagon when I get home!!

P1130213

I didn’t even venture into this shop…I was afraid I’d get sucked into the vortex…never to return!!

P1130217

See what I mean about the garden displays…

P1130219

..and of course restaurants on every corner!

P1130222

I seem to be into gardens….hmmm could this be a sign of Spring??

P1130225

Lots of artisans…P1130239

…and pottery.P1130241

And then it was off for a drive around San Diego…so pretty!  Reminded me of Victoria…in the inner harbour!

P1130248P1130263

Gorgeous!

P1130285

And over the bridge..yikes!!

P1130297P1130312

Views from the bridge….P1130318

Spectacular (don’t think about earth quakes…don’t think about earth quakes!!!…)

P1130324P1130326P1130328

Whew!P1130329

And then home again we go!  San Diego…what a BEAUTIFUL CITY!!

P1130330

We will definitely come back to this wonderful city…and I might add that we didn’t look for ONE quilt shop!! (I’ll save that for next time!!)

We did however stop in Temecula and La Mesa before reaching San Diego! …and quickly toured two of my favouite shops…The Quilter’s Coop and The Country Loft!!  But more on that tomorrow…so come on back!!  You are going to love the EYE CANDY!!

Have a wonderful Saturday and Happy Quilting!~P

18 comments:

  1. I feel like I've been riding along with you on this posting P. It is time to go home, spring is flowering in BC...maybe just the island area but by the time you get home.
    A fun blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh P that was so much fun and I didn't even get a sunburn! Yes it does kind of remind one of Victoris's inner harbour. Great way to repurpose a wagon! Can't wait to see more pictures from your travels to the quilt shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful views and what a beautiful day for a drive.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks gorgeous!! I would love to see it myself one day. Thanks for sharing it with us. Hugs Ariane

    ReplyDelete
  5. San Diego is a beautiful city. Thanks for taking us along. Loved the sunshine and flower gardens.
    Happy and safe trails to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pics of a beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete
  7. San Diego is on my things to go list. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures! I've never been to San Diego, so this was a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. we should have planned it better and we could have met up while I was down there....Loved the Quilt Coop....actually used to do boutiques with one of the ladies that works there....we had a fun time reminiscing and catching up
    San Diego is a beautiful city...and love Old Town

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE San Diego! What, you didn't go to Rosie's???
    Really great quilt shop on the outskirts of town.

    TTYS

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have heard great things about San Diego...everyone that has gone has loved it. Such blue water...to match the blue sky. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are too funny - actually a girl after my own heart - "don't think about earthquakes...." beautiful photos - really enjoyed them! And it does remind one of Victoria sorta. please bring some sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was in San Diego many moons ago but still as lovely as I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW !! What beautiful scenery

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a fun side trip on your adventure. I love your on the go photography!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh thanks for the tour! I LOVE San Diego, it was one of my favourite places to go when I lived in BC! Sheesh.. the things I miss!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a friend who was from San Diego- it looks like a wonderful place to visit.
    Are you headed home soon- the weather is still cool though we did not get the snow storm that Calgary got today.
    It is such a crazy weather year.
    I will look forward to reading your next post- it is always fun to see what treasures you found this time.
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for the tour of San Diego!..we were there in 1990?..did the Sea World thing and Hotel Del Coronado!..great city and worth another visit!!

    ReplyDelete