Thursday, April 28, 2011

Just doing my HOMEWORK!!

Last Heritage Quilting day I signed up to make a Chubby Bag.  Barb, our instructor gave us our ‘homework’ list and told us to come back next Monday with everything on the list done.  YIKES!!

Well I have to CONFESS…I have NEVER made a bag before…NEVER made a purse…or anything like it!   I should have made one this Winter when I was at The Sands…remember EVERYONE was making those wonderful carpet bags… but I was busy with other projects…and I didn’t want to start something new.  I have been kicking myself ever since!

So when it was announced that Barb was going to run another Chubby Bag class I jumped right in!!

Here’s what the Chubby Bag looks like~ This is Carol’s Bag…she made this bag from Barb’s first class.  Isn’t it gorgeous!!

P1130563

On Barb’s list you need 48 5” squares so I found two Charm Packs of Blackbird’s Wild Rose Fabric from my stash.  I started laying them out and sewing them together…read down the list ..yada yada…to where it said “FREE MOTION quilt, it doesn’t have to be fancy!” Well…what the hay…it’s my first bag, why not my first attempt at free motion quilting too!!  But first I need to practice!!

P1130661

I need to share a Free Motion tip that I learned from my blogging pal, Marie.  (Thanks, Marie…blogging buddies are the best!!)  She told me about this trick and it really works!! 

P1130662 Practice your Free Motion on paper towel…just accordion fold it 5 or 6 times to get the desired thickness and go for it!!  It is way more freeing than fabric as you’re not wasting fabric and batting.  And when you are finished, use your Free Motion Practice sheets as sponges…great for many, many spills!! :o)

P1130663 You can also draw on the paper towel…form a grid..draw the roses…or design…whatever!  So a lot more practice sheets and I think I am going to put the pedal to the medal and go for the REAL thing!!

P1130664

Wish me luck!!  Hey, I think the mojo is back!!  Yahoo!!

Have a thrilling Thursday and Happy Quilting!~P

27 comments:

  1. I am SO impressed with your practice peices! I have never had ANY luck with free motion quilting. I've gone back to hand quilting and am satified with it, especially all the great quilts you see now with perle 8 thread. I'm loving it. Good Luck with your bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great idea and great quilting!Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute bag! Thanks so much for sharing the paper towel tip! I am a quilter, but my free motion quilting is not one of my strong points! I think I am a bit too much of a perfectionist. I will now practice on paper towels! (Yeah!)...I can't tell you how many times I have ripped out some free motion stitches because they are not perfect!
    Good luck with your bag, I'm sure it will be beautiful!
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not believe you!! I do not believe you haven't done FMQ before!! That pattern is lovely, I have never thought of trying roses like that and what a great idea about the paper towel. I am going to go and practise doing a rose now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw 'nothing fancy' I immediately saw stippling in my mind. WOW, you are tackling a difficult pattern for your first time. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great idea, P. Those roses are REALLY good. Some people just have a knack!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! Your first attempt and you are making roses?? I am so impressed and they look awesome. Can't wait to see your finished bag.
    A great tip. I was practicing some quilting the other day and now I wish I had known about the paper towels. I will use that tip from now on. You are just 'sew' good to all of us. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your first try looks great. You seem to be a natural! Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a neat idea and makes it easier to practice without fear of ruining your piece, so you had fun and did a wonderful job.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. THAT is your first time practice! No way!!!! That's absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see it on fabric! You have the knack!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does look like your mojo is back. And your practice sheets look great. Can't believe you've never done this before. The paper towel tip has given me inspiration to try some free-motion quilting myself. Love the fabric you've picked out for your bag. It's going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good idea, your quilting looks pretty darn good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your freeform is so good! you are really gifted my dear - wowsers! good for you and I'm sure your bag will look great.(no pressure)enjoy and mucho gratias for sharing the paper towel trick. I will give it a try if I ever try freeform.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing that great tip!
    Your quilting looks fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have fun with your purse...I have made a couple but have patterns for many more! What a great idea for practicing FMQ....am going to try that for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your rose design is great, you've got a good handle on machine quilting.

    You should check out Innovations in Tacoma Washington in September.

    I've been twice and enjoy it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the great free-motion practice idea to use paper towels. I don't have scraps of batting big enough to create practice pieces -- but this gives me no excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  18. glad you got your 'mojo' back..way to work under pressure!!!..nice colours for the 'bag'!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow...you aren't bad with those roses...gonna have to send the quilts I don't want embroidered to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your roses just blow me away, I love them so much! I like the paper towel tip, I usually don't buy paper towels but it just so happens that I'm getting ready to clean my windows, and bought some. Not too sure now the windows will get cleaned, lol....well maybe I can practice my FM and THEN clean the windows!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a darling bag. I LOVE the freemotion tip, practicing on papertowels. Very clever, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the paper towel idea! Thank you so much for posting this - that would be so helpful to me. I hate wasting fabric so most of the time I just strike out quilting without practicing and you can tell it when you look at my quilts. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your roses are beautiful! Thanks for the paper towel tip!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like your work and I congratulate them
    Have a good day
    Josefina
    tijeras y cuchara wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. great idea, the roses are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great idea! Thanks for passing it along!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous idea and one I could sure use!! I am terrible at FMQ and can't get the mojo to practice because I'm afraid of messing up! This may actually be a way for me to learn confidence in FMQ. Thank you Thank You Thank YOU!!!
    Blessings
    Gmama Jane

    ReplyDelete