Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Not meant to be…sigh…

Today I was going to write all about my exciting rendezvous with Dawnie…a blogging friend from AUSTRALIA…We have known each other and been BLOGGING FRIENDS for almost two years.

Dawnie’s Blog is wonderful!  It’s called “Itching for Stitching” (cute hey!) and is always full of lots of eye candy and stitchery projects…(check it out…you won’t be sorry!!)

BUT alas..our meeting wasn’t meant to be…at the last minute her flight was delayed by ten hours and so that put an end to that…DARN!

                   image

So just in case Dawnie’s wondering what I had planned for us…WELL... FIRST we were going to have a cup a’ coffee/tea at Murchies, an English style tea shop filled with a huge display case of cakes, cookies, pastries and wonderful scones!  Of course I WOULD have talked her into having something sinfully delicious and of course my diet would have been shot to #@^*!! 

Then we would have walked (just across the road) to the Button Shop in Trounce Alley where they not only sell wonderful buttons…ALL KINDS of buttons…even those sweet handmade ones… but also threads and yarns to do any kind of stitchery. I LOVE this shop…and being a true Auzzie, Dawnie would have too because Dawnie does incredible stitcheries!

Then, if we had time, we would have walked to The Satin Moon, a quilt shop about a block away…sigh…NOT TO BE…

Dawnie’s plane arrived last night in Victoria, so this morning she was being whisked off to Butchart Gardens, then on a carriage ride tour of the Victoria Harbour before she departs our fair city…sounds wonderful doesn’t it?!  But not perfect…after all there is no Murchies, no Button Shop, no Satin Moon…and no me…sigh…

Sad smile

Maybe next time…

Safe and happy travels, Dawnie!!

BUT all was not lost…I consoled myself by doing what any good quilter would do…I sewed…and finished off my little 4 1/2” schoolhouses…and even though they aren’t perfect, I love them!!  P1130602

I am auditioning borders…and think I will eventually put on a little border of the black and a wider border of the red…

P1130603

..but before I can put the borders on I need to find/build a frame for this little guy.  This quilt (without the black and red borders) is only 16” square.  So now I am on the hunt for the ‘perfect’ frame…Thrift Shops here I come!!

P1130604

It’s nice to have a Thrift Store purpose!!

Have a wonderful Wednesday and Happy Quilting!!~P

24 comments:

  1. Your houses are so cute...your pick for borders is just right. Hard to imagine it is only that big..will look great framed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ten hour delay! That's just awful! So sorry you missed out on spending time with your friend. I hope she enjoys her quick trip. Loving your cute little houses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh BUMMER - so sorry you missed her - Dawnie is such a sweetie! I love your little schoolhouse quilt. Wishing you luck on finding the perfect frame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry the meeting didn't work out. I wonder what wonderful thing the Universe will find to soothe the pain!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And that is why I don't fly, lol.
    It is a shame, would have been fun to get together.
    Your house quilts are beautiful, wonderful fabric choices.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure what you mean by not "perfect," but those houses look perfectly perfect to me. Such a sweet quilt and I hope you are able to find the right frame. Might be fun to try and make your own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm such a dunce, I didn't realize until just now that you live in Victoria. I was there in 2004 and we went to the gardens -gorgeous!! If I ever get back there, I'll look you up. Having blogging buddies could be really fun :)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bummer! I will have to jump on a ferry so we can have tea at Murchie's, then go on a raid of the button shop and Satin Moon together!
    What a gorgeous day today!

    Your schoolhouse blocks are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, poor girl :^(
    it's so hard when we are built-up for a great event
    and then to have it smashed to smithereens
    but I see you put your 'bonus' time to very good use.
    Hugs,
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry it didn't work out!!

    Love the houses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's really a shame! :-(

    Your houses are fab - hope you find a frame.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your little house quilt looks wonderful. I can't wait to see it all done. Hugs Ariane

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your little schoolhouses, and so appropriate for a teacher! I'm anxious to see what treasure you find with which to frame it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. adorable little houses. I hope to make up a few of my own soon! Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no - how dissappointing. I'm sure Dawnie is just as dissappointed as you plus a 10hour delay wouldn't have been fun. I hope you do get to meet each other one day. Cute house blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great quilt...sad to miss dawnie as she is such a sweetie! Shame she was caught up in that airport mess & was unable to spend the time with you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those houses are just too cute.. Too bad you missed out on visiting with your friend. Sounds like it would have been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. sorry to hear your plans didn't go the way you wanted..not to worry.. two new friends you shall meet in nine days!!.and our flight won't be delayed!..that's cause there won't be one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bummer that your plans got high-jinxed, but your house bliock quilting project was a nice consolation prize -- and it looks perfect to me! Can't wait to see the frame you find. You always seem to unearth such great treasures at yard sales.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh No....Dawnie was so excited about catching up with you...she is one gorgeous lady...I have had the pleasure of spending quite a bit of time with Dawnie recently in Nundle...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the memories of OUR trip to Victoria! We shopped at "The Satin Moon" and the "Button Shop" and even had tea with a "to die for" pastry at Murchies!

    I fell in love with Victoria and would love to visit again...a wonderful trip and lots of good memories. We stayed at the Empress and were throughly spoiled!

    Thanks Paulette for a walk down memory lane...

    Hugs,

    Elaine in SLO, Ca

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your little houses are so cute. Love the border. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sooo Cute! I can't believe they are only 4 1/2"

    ReplyDelete
  24. When you get it framed take a photo next to other items so we can get a perspective of it's size!

    Wish I could have been your fall back shopping friend!

    ReplyDelete