Monday, March 1, 2010

Oh Canada!!

The flame has been extinguished, and the closing  ceremonies are over… but what a ride this Olympics was!!  I’m sure we will all watch highlights of the greatest moments of the top athletes again and again…but what were some of your personal highlights of the games?

These are some of my favourites…

I loved watching Apollo Ohno speed skate!!  He is magic to watch in a race…the way he starts off at the back of the pack and then sails past all the other skaters to win gold! What an athlete…he blew me away!!  How does he do that?  I wish I could do that with quilting…just sail to the finish line and produce a gold winning quilt with the ease that he has..!  (Apollo also had my vote on Dancing With the Stars!!)  What a guy!

image

I loved watching Shaun White on the Snowboard…OMG-what a wild man!!…If he was my son he’d make my hair go white…oh yeah my hair already is white!   With the gold medal secure he still had one more run… he could have played it safe and done a nice safe clean routine but no not Shaun.  He blew the whole snowboarding world out of the competition and performed tricks that only he could dream up and perfect…we  saw him sail right out of the pipe…Shaun turned me into a Snowboarding fan!!  

image

I loved watching Jon Montgomery sing O’Canada with so much pride and  enthusiasm that he made me want to join in!!  When he won his gold for the Skeleton his joy and surprise was exhilarating.  I loved it!! AND what a character he is…hamming it up for the cameras…clearly amazed by his win and enjoying EVERY moment!!

image

I loved watching Kim Yu-Nah the South Korean skater-she took my breath away!! Isn’t she sweet?

image 

And I can’t help mentioning Joannie Rochette.  She is the Canadian figure skater who found out 2 days before her first performance that her mother had died of a heart attack. Rather than pull out of the competition, she chose to compete. Later she would say it was what her mother would have wanted her to do. I was a blubbering mess after her performance as she looked at the ceiling and blew a kiss. Where did she find the strength?

image

And do I need to mention the Canada/USA Hockey Game?…one word…Stressful!!  Nail biter!!  Ok that’s two! What a WIN!! OK, that’s three!  GOLD!  That’s the ONE we want to hear!!  What a game!!

image

All of these are just SOME of my favourites…and this is from someone who NORMALLY doesn’t watch the Olympics…who knew??

What about you – do you have some favourites?

Have a marvellous Monday and Happy Quilting!!

10 comments:

  1. HMMMM - you hit on all my favorite moments, too. How does Apolo do it??? He's amazing to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is just wonderful that once every few years most of this planet is united in one enthusiasm, whether its winter Olympics or the usual Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were many great moments but my favorite had to be watching Joannie skate. How could that have come from anywhere but the heart?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And i have your beautiful National Anthem playing in my head!
    Cathy from the US

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely these were some of my favorites too! I would add Virtue and Moir's performance, Bode Miller, and of course Canada's first gold medal of the games by Alexandre Bilodeau - what a moment when he hugged his brother!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have LOVED watching the Olympics - it just put our renovations on hold. I have been reading your blog for awhile ( a fellow quilter ) your DH may know us as kanddintherv. Your work is beautiful! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of the above plus so many more, too numerous to mention...except Virtue and Moir, the pairs dancing couple and Alexandre and his brother Frederic. And I think I've aged 10 years after watching the gold medal hockey game yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really pleased for Canada as I have enjoyed watching every moment.
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Paulette....nice to meet you, we have WCSA in common, and I wanted to thank you for your helpful info that you posted on my blog. I still need to aquire supplies, and have a few other things I need to wrap up first before I dig into that.

    I too so enjoyed the olympics....it certainly got emotional at times, didn't it? I am thankful to have you as a great neighbor! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite is the Russian figure skater Plushenko, I love to watch him skate.

    ReplyDelete