Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dyeing for Wool…

My friend, Claire has had Wool Fever for several years…she is the one who passed this fever onto me!!  Claire still teaches Kindergarten and has a few more years until retirement but that doesn’t slow her down in the quilting department.  She has finished whip stitching her blocks together so that she can start the fun part of creating her own Wool Crazy Quilt….

image

AND…Look what Claire did with some white wool that she had on hand…

image

Yup, she dyed it…such pretty Spring colours!!image

OOOOOHHH…wouldn’t you love to find this in your garden!!

Claire used Gaywool dye and her grandma’s old canning pot and presto…looks like the Easter bunny arrived early!  YUM!!

 

image So now I’m on the hunt for more white and white textured wools…I love having a mission!! 

image

Looking at these lovely colours…doesn’t it make you want to try your hand at dyeing wool too?!  I can’t wait!

Have a thrilling (thrifting) Thursday and Happy Quilting!

16 comments:

  1. WOW those are pretty - I wish you good hunting, that would be so fun to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dying can be fun, but messy. You might want to do yours on an outside burner;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, you got that right.. How did she do it,, does she have a tutorial??? The colors are outstanding and sweet..How are you and your wool project coming? Thanks for sharing,,
    Maggey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous colors, Paulette. And you know you can over dye any color of wool. It doesn't have to be white to start out. But you probably knew that, huh? *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been on that same search lately. I'll tell you what--you can have Southern California and I'll take Northern California, okay?! LOL! Don't forget to look for lighter grays and beiges too--your colors will be a little different because of the tint of the base, but that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so lovely-I have just tried felting wool for the first time-do you know if you felt first, then dye or dye first, then felt? I would love to know,
    Happy hunting, Shazy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful wool colors! She did an awesome job. I wish I knew how to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG...Paulette how gorgeous, can't wait to see what you come up with...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely colours very nice
    Hugs Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are so lovely-thank you for sharing-wonderful "eye candy" and I love her wool crazy quilt block-I love that.
    I am still on the hunt for white or light beige wools too here in the ozarks of missouri-so far haven't found any. good luck to you as well on your hunt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely colours, isn´t it expensive to dye it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh...this is awesome. does she have her own blog so we can follow her progress? what was her process for dying the wools? inquiring minds really want to know! thanks
    anita

    ReplyDelete