Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Ghost of a Wee Basket…

Some of you were wondering how I was going to quilt my Wee Basket quilt…well I wasn’t sure.. at first…BUT here’s what I eventually went with…

Plain old hand quilting…using plain old Gutermann’s Hand Quilting Thread.  I am stitching a ghost of a wee basket in the beige blocks and also stitching around each coloured baskets to make them pop.

 P1180047

These blocks are just too small (3”) to handle BIG stitching …and in a darker colour and in perle cotton they were too busy and the effect took away from the quilt as a whole.

P1180048

The subtle wee basket quilting adds another dimension to this  Wee Basket Quilt…

P1180049

It’s been about three years since I small stitched quilted so it will take some practice before I get into the swing of things…and it’s going to take time….but I have all the time in the world…RIGHT?!

I like that I have the quilting frame set up in the Family Room so that I can plunk myself down in front of it whenever I have a few spare minutes…It’s all GOOD!

Have a SUNNY Sunday and Happy Quilting!~P

17 comments:

  1. I love the quilting design! Perfect for that terrific quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, love the quilting design. I think you'll whip through this beauty in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful quilt and the quilting you are doing is gorgeous.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You picked the perfect quilting design for this gorgeous quilt. And since you have your frame set up, I'll bet you finish it before you know it. Being able to sit down and stitch when you have a few moments can be very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every winter my grandma had a quilt in a frame set up in her "front parlour". That's where I learned my love of quilting. You know I don't blog P, but I do read your blog each day so add another follower to your "blog count".
    Your alternate block is such a great selection for the wee baskets.
    Launa in CA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good choice! It's going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! Happy baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the baskets and the quilting is going to be beautiful. Gutermann's quilting thread it is my favorite....luckily JoAnns carries it because none of our quilt stores do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your choice. As you said, you didn't want the quilting in these blocks to detract from the baskets. The shadowing is perfect as are your stitches. You'll have that quilted in no time, know you! Have a great Sunday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely perfect, hon, what a gorgeous quilt - I love the ghost baskets! And how lovely to have it set up so you can sit and stitch anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore your quilt and you chose a perfect quilting design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have the frame and the things you put it up on but too much funiture to do it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good idea for your quilting in the plain blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the shape of this basket. And I often do the same thing, echo the design in an echo block of quilting. Great look so far!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great choice ... and at 3" blocks, it should be finished in no time!

    ReplyDelete