Monday, September 13, 2010

Not JUST a Fair… a Quilting Extravaganza!!

Yesterday was the last day of the 142nd Cowichan Exhibition.  So how was this Fair different from the last 141?  Well for one thing, my quilting friend Delores talked me into entering some of my quilting projects!!  (She said it would be fun and would make life more interesting…and darned if she wasn’t right!) 

My BIG worry about entering a quilt (to be judged) was having someone inspect my workmanship (visions of Home Ec. flash before my eyes…and having Mrs. Couch’s eagle eye inspecting my apron…YIKES!!!)…
Don’t get me wrong… when I make a quilt for ME I want it to be good but I don’t fuss too much with small, precise stitches etc…after all WHO’S going to be looking at it?…There goes that thinking…sheesh!!  BUT it was only for FUN I kept telling myself…

So I entered NINE quilts..one large quilt, two wool projects and the rest were Schnibbles or small quilts.  I know you are DYING to know how I did!  Have a look!!

P1100017

I was shocked!  At the last minute I threw in my only ‘big quilt’ -our ‘RV’ quilt…it placed first in it’s category.  Now remember there are TONS of different categorizes and each has different criteria…but FIRST!  I was thrilled!!  Looks like the RV Quilt is moving inside!!:o)  And I better think of another name for it!

P1100013

So let me take you on a little tour of the different quilts…there were hundreds and millions and billions of quilts..but I am only going to show a few….

I HAD to take a picture of this sweetheart…scrappy and sweet!  I am in the process of making a quilt similar to this one..but my petals are raw  edged sewn…these are needle turned!  I am going to have to rethink the raw edged petals…hmmmm…

P1100010

A lovely Dresden…don’t you just love Dresdens…

P1100012

  This simple baby quilt was beautifully hand quilted…it just made this quilt sing….

P1100014

This quilt was stunning…loved the beige tone-on-tone background and the appliqué was exquisite!!

P1090934 

There were quilts stuck in all kinds of cubbies…

P1090936

A gorgeous Kaleidoscope quilt…

P1090937

Aren’t they stunning…

P1090940  Baby quilts…see the Between Charming Friends…hanging in the middle row at the very end…she didn’t win but she hung proudly!P1090946

Remember Delores’ monkey quilt…LOVE this quilt..she picked up at second for this one!  She managed to rip it from her new grandson’s grasp…he is probably traumatized for life…but it got a SECOND so it was worth it! ;o)  Way to go Grandma!!

 P1090947

We have got some VERY talented quilters in the Cowichan Valley…no wonder Fabricland is expanding! ha ha

P1090948 This was my FAVOURITE…and it’s not because I like chickens…JUST look at all this appliqué… and P1090952

LOOK at the colours…sheer PERFECTION and the judges agreed!!  

P1090953

Another highlight for me was this embroidery…STUNNING…it was done on a pillow case and top sheet!  Took my breath away!!  Some of it is single thread and so delicate.  I can’t imagine using these…well maybe if the Queen was visiting…but I would make her use a hairnet and NO face cream before retiring!!

P1090957 P1090959

This yoyo runner was very fun and sweet….

P1090961

I have ALWAYS been a sucker for the log cabin…and this was no exception…nothing says Merry Christmas like a Christmas log cabin done in little Christmas prints….

P1090962

A lovely needle punch~ P1090968   Does this one look familiar?…my midget churn dash got SECOND!!  And Vickie from Heritage got FIRST for the gorgeous blue log cabin on the left!!  You don’t mind losing to a friend…WILL YOU LISTEN TO ME!!  ;OP1090986

Here is Delores’ Christmas Village…she was robbed!!  I thought for sure she would place First (you should SEE the detail on this wall hanging!!) but alas the Christmas tree runner beat her out (and it was lovely too!)…AND…do you see the snowman table topper to the left…it placed third!!  AND it’s MINE!! Wahhoooo!!  This is FUN!

 P1090988  OK…I lied…there are MORE than a few pictures!  You MUST be getting tired…and I do have MORE to share…SEW…I am going to stop…and continue tomorrow.  If you are getting sick of the Fair then skip tomorrow…but hopefully you will be back on Wednesday… :o)  TTFN!

Have a merry Monday and Happy Quilting!~P

36 comments:

  1. Congratulations your wins are awesome and well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! Way to go, you did great! I am way to chicken to enter anything to be judged. I'm too hard on myself and want to keep the stress out of quilting. But I'm thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your wins, although it comes as no surprise to me. Your work is beautiful. Also thanks for sharing this event with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, well earned! I laughed aloud at your Home Ec teacher reference (in my kid's school they now call it "Life management," ha ha!). Thanks for sharing the Fair pix too, do please share the rest tomorrow. I'm not bored at all but it's fairer to my employer to split them up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowzer - congratulations, Paulette. Woohoo! All very well deserved wins. And, so many other beautiful quilts - thank you for sharing. I'll be back tomorrow for more. :-) And, I'll be back Wednesday - I don't want to miss anything. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Color me green with jealousy over your ribbons! How exciting for you....I've only won a couple of ribbons ever. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! what a joy to see and I love your winnings and ribbons and all the fun you had entering. WELL DONE!!!
    A big Hug to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for getting out of your comfort zone and entering your prize winners!!! Yay! Thank you so much for sharing the pictures of the fair! The beige on beige flower applique is just breathtaking!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Paulette!!! I was wondering if you would be entering quilts. Way to go, that is super fun. Wow, you're right there sure are lots of talented ladies in the valley. I must say, that embroidered sheet & pillowcase made my heart palpitate a little - they are stunning! All of your quilts, and the others too, were a treat to see, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!
    Your quilting is always wonderful, we are always more critical of our own work. I like that flower petal one, looks simple and great way to mix scraps and stash.
    I think i have some similar patterns, will have to look.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowwweee, I've got a penny rug made by an award winning quilter. Yikes, perhaps I should take it off my dining room table and put it away in a cupboard to keep safe?

    Many congrats on all your wins, it's brilliant. Do you charge us mere mortals now though to talk to you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your win and thanks for sharing all those beautiful creations with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. congratulations! that is fantastic. I've been to scared to enter anything but maybe I will in the future, just fro fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats!

    I might, just might, enter a contest one of these days. You've given me a little bit of courage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your wins! I loved the snowball quilt already when you made it.
    Amazing pictures from the show.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And the WINNER IS - SWEET P! Can you hear my applause! I knew you had it in you and you finally let it out! Nothing like a win to motivate a quilter to create more! Don't forget to wear your ribbons at Quilters Club next month! Now make your way over to Lady Go Go and continue with the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your wins! And I know what you mean about feeling like you are back in home ec. I look forward to seeing more of you fair pictures tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations!!!!! You deserved your ribbons :-D Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! How fun! I loved all the photo's. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh P,
    All I can say is fabulous,fabulous,
    F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of you and I think it is so hard putting yourself out there.
    Now on to bigger and better...
    Big Hugs,
    Maggey

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations Paulette!! It looks like some pretty stiff competition too!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Way to go Paulette!!!!! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dang girl congratulations!!!! Now aren't you glad you entered? All the quilts are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats Paulette!! Great job - you have to be on cloud nine!!:)Thanks for sharing all the gorgeous pictures - I'll be back to see the rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! You must be thrilled, congratulations! Thanks for sharing the pictures I love to see what is going on out there!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow!! Congratulations!!! I'm definitely not sick of the show. So many beautiful quilts. Love them. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bravo, congratulations, keep showing us more I love seeing them all!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations. Well deserved ribbons.
    Thanks for the tour of the quilts-some stunning work.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats for you, your quilts are great. And please go on showing us the others, I LOVE it and I don't get tired...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations! You cleaned up.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations you deserve it
    The quilts are beautiful i know i would never enter mine that for sure
    Hugs Janice

    ReplyDelete
  32. Well done Paulette....you have done so well.....

    ReplyDelete
  33. Now everyone at the Cowichan Exhibition knows what we already knew. . . . .you're a winner!!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  34. WOW 5 ribbons out of 9 quilts entered that is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete