Friday, September 10, 2010

The BIG One That Got Away…

Do you remember this quilt?  I posted about it last year back in November. I LOVED this quilt!!  It was hanging in the window of an Artisan’s shop along with many other quilts. And it STOPPED me in my tracks!!  It was made from men’s shirts…so lovely…in soft shades of blues…

P1030911

Look at the stars…

 P1030907

So gorgeous…and it’s reversible…on the other side there were Dresden plates made from the same shirts…how sweet is that!!  It was a double whammy!! Two quilts for the price of one!!  I wanted to crawl into that window display for a closer look but this was as far as I could go…

P1030908

Guess what…I tracked down the quilter who made this quilt!!  Aude is an incredible quilter who just happens to be a member of Heritage Quilters- the guild that I attend ever Monday!

P1030909

Of course I asked Aude if she would PLEEEEEASE bring the Shirt Quilt to quilting for some Show and Tell Time!!   But that was not to be…the shop that had sponsored the mini window Quilt Show had ACCIDENTALLY sold the quilt…for $350!!  Even if Aude had wanted to sell it, this reversible quilt was worth more than triple this amount!!  I would have been heart broken…actually…I WAS heart broken just thinking about it!!

P1030910

So how did Aude console herself?  Why she made more quilts of course!!

Like this beauty…

image

And this one~

image

And this gorgeous scalloped star quilt…

image

But alas…they are not like the BIG one that got away!!

image

A good lesson learned…always put a NOT FOR SALE sign on your quilts that are being displayed in shop windows …in REALLY big lettering…on a REALLY big card!!  :o(

On a lighter note…IT’S FRIDAY!!  Not that that means anything when you are retired…but for you working folks…YIPPEEE!  It’s Friday!!

Have a FUN Friday and Happy Quilting!~P

16 comments:

  1. I would be upset if someone sold it too, would never give that one away. She does make beautiful quilts though.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh No! That is terrible. I sure hope the shop compensated her in a BIG WAY after that goof up. Not very good customer relations I'd say. WOW! I would cry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend creates gorgeous quilts. So sorry to hear that one was sold without permission :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a heartbreak. I really feel for her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is unbelievable. I hope the shop made up the difference to her at least. I do love the star one that you showed last though.

    As for it being Friday, what it does mean of course is that tomorrow is Christmas Quilt-a-long Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! How could that happen? They have to give her more money, that's so unfair, especially since she didn't even intend to sell it in the first place. So few people understand the value of a hand made quilt (but I bet the person who 'stole' it for $350 does!). Poor Aude. She is a very talented quilter. Her colourful radiating star quilt is incredible - thanks for showing those to us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How horrible for her! The quilt is really nice. Bet she won't let anyone "borrow" a quilt anytime soon.

    What I am starting to like about my forced retirement is Monday, that's when everyone goes back to school and I can have the house to myself (with Reagan and Nelson, of course)!
    Selfish of me, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You would think that the shop knew that that quilt would be worth alot more than 350. That is just too bad. What awesome quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That quilt really was a beauty. What a terrible mistake to sell it without permission, and at that price.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did they just make something up for the price?? I gasped for her when I read that it was accidentally sold. It is a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMgosh - what a marvelous show you gave us today!!! Each quilt is better than the previous! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Her other quilts are beautiful, but it makes me sad that her quilt was sold accidentally.

    Happy Friday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have GOT to be kidding me - that is horrible! I hope they reimbursed her for more than that - it's a gorgeous quilt, and oh man the hours put into it! Her other quilts are just lovely, and I hope she keeps them safe at home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very good lesson there. What an awesome quilter. Thanks for telling us about her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gee I hope the person who purchased it appreciates it value.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a nightmare!
    I do love that first quilt on your post!

    ReplyDelete