Friday, October 24, 2014

My Christmas Skirt…

The other day I was leafing through this magazine…it’s called ‘Magic Patch’…an older issue of the Australian magazine that I found in my ‘travels’.

IMG_2320

Well…as I was leafing through it, I came to THIS PAGE…well the Heavens opened and heavenly music began playing…I swear!! It stopped me in my tracks!  I loved this table topper…I loved the shape of it and the ‘idea’ of the appliqued motifs (not necessarily THOSE motifs…), I also loved the multi coloured stars embroidered on the whole thing to tie each section together and the crazy stitching between each section!  I had to make this one!

IMG_2319

It called for fabric that is already quilted…and I had a light bulb moment!  I had bought a bundle of pre-quilted fabric while at the Hemet ‘Boutique’ this year!  Do you remember their FILL A BAG FOR $1?  Yup…this piece got stuffed into my bag!  So I pulled it out of my stash and…it’s perfect!!…it was a HUGE piece and I liked it better than the magazine fabric!  Eureka!  But it is white…SNOW WHITE!  I did the burn test to see if the fabric was actually cotton and could be dyed…and sure enough it was the real deal!!

IMG_2288

So I brewed up a batch of tea…

IMG_2289

Ooops!  Get those tea bags out of there!  I also added our morning coffee left overs!

IMG_2290

And then left it outside to set…

IMG_2291

I LOVED the mottled colour but hated the tea/coffee smell…so off to the wash machine it went…then the dryer!

IMG_2293

Here’s a picture before it got washed.  Perfect and the washing just softened the colour up a bit. 

IMG_2295

I used the template in the magazine and cut out the wedges…don’t you love the subtle mottling…

IMG_2313

The first one to get a wedgie is my Christmas Lamb…She will eventually have a Christmas wreath stitched around her neck…

IMG_2318

The stocking was hung by the lamb with care

IMG_2321

…notice the motifs are still on the Mylar (clear plastic) so that they can be repositioned later…)

IMG_2322

I had to have Frosty!

IMG_2323IMG_2324

And I had this sweet pattern with tumbling gingerbread men…

IMG_2325

So of course they went on…(I will embroider the garland later…cute!)

IMG_2326

And I gave Santa a wedgie too!:o)

IMG_2327

It’s growing…

IMG_2328

Next came a poinsettia… taken from a Primitive Gathering pattern!

IMG_2329

And a Christmas Tree…

IMG_2330

YIKES!!  SEE the spots on the blank wedge (upper left)…those are REAL PAW prints!!  We just got back from our hike and Rylie was inspecting my work!  It’s all good….the fabric IS mottled and a motif of Rylie is going on that wedge!  It’s only fitting that paw prints should grace her wedge! haha… I just need to take the pattern to Staples to expand it to the correct size! 

IMG_2331

So there you have it so far…Last night I slid each motif off of the Mylar and glued them down, ready for stitching!

IMG_2332

A giant star will be appliqued over the centre points and I’m sure more ‘stuff’ will be added as I go!

IMG_2333

Like the HO HO HO…that got added as I watched TV last night!

IMG_2334

This will be my hand stitching project while driving down south this Winter.  I am a nervous passenger(YIKES to those Freeways!!)…so this will keep my eyes off the road and onto my work and for this my hubby is VERY thankful! :o)

Have a FUN Friday and Happy Stitching!~P

34 comments:

  1. Love it! And it's all wool applique? Nice! It's going to be beautiful. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love it. What a score you got with that already quilted piece of fabric. Looks like a very good project for that trip south.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new project! I also wool appliqué, but I have never used mylar. Where do you buy it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's going to be adorable. Love all the motifs but you know my heart went pitter-patter when I saw the tumbling gingerbread men. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well now aren't you just the clever one. Talk about running with an idea and improving it ...soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really took the idea and "ran with it". It's going to be fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! Love how you created the perfect fabric and made the pattern your own with such cute designs. Bet the time will fly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job! How big is the finish piece. Ya know, it could easy become a tree skirt also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a really good job with the dying and the creations of those nice patterns, congratulations, it will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your creativeness is amazing. That will be a very precious piece when completed. Becki

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your energy! What a great project to keep you distracted from the traffic. I can't believe you got it ready for stitching so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this. It would make a great tree skirt as well. I'm with you when it comes to getting nervous on travel days. I read a book to keep myself from watching the traffic. I know Kevin appreciates it too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Tree skirt is going to be GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great project! I also get very nervous on the freeways. I recently started a hexagon project that I work on while we travel. I normally get motion sickness when I try to do something while on the road but for some reason I can stitch hexies. I wish I had discovered this years ago. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant! I love it.

    I am a dreadful passenger so I drive. I'm missing out on stitching time! But then again, I'm horrible at navigating as well.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your redesign of the project. It is going to be lovely. Lovely job on the coffee/tea tinting.

    Have fun stitching while driving...being the driver I've never had the chance to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just love the table topper.....I have a question do you iron the sheep down onto the background since you have heat and bond on it.....or are you only using it to keep it from fraying......

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is such a fun idea, never thought to use it like that. I use the black for the back of hand tied quilts, my lazy way of making them;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed project! Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness this is brilliant - LOVE the mottled effect - love the appliques - I'm looking forward to seeing this one done, Paulette! You sure work fast, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great project! The appliqués are so cute. Can't wait to see this one finished.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a fantastic job you have done here, first I love the tea dyed quilted fabric and the applique you have done is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're so smart!! Your finished project is going to be perfect for Christmas. Maybe you should start designing and writing patterns? I love to follow your So Cal travels,

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I like the idea of the pre-quilted fabric for the project. The wool designs so cute. Are you going to stitch it now or on your trip?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello, great job!
    Thank you for sharing the pictures of your process as well; you make it look so simple but this kind of ease can only come from experience!
    Note: Magic Patch is a French magazine, published by Editions de Saxe but they have now an English version (just like Quiltmania). Some of their designs, though, come from all over the world, hence perhaps your reference to Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great skirt, and I'm excited for you that you could use up a piece from your stash. Clever girl to tea/coffee dye it - it makes all the difference. Your road trip will be much more fun with this to turn your attention to.

    ReplyDelete