Saturday, October 18, 2014

Let’s Talk…CLAMS!

I stumbled over the tote that had THESE clam shells in them!  I love stitching them…but I hate the prep work…so they sit!

IMG_2248-001

Seven rows stitched…(if I was a good blogger I would have ironed this top before showing you…)

IMG_2248

You see my problem is that I have only got enough cardboard paper templates to prep two rows at a time…and man do they ever take TIME!  You have to cut out the clamshell fabric, glue the top edge to the paper template, iron them flat, hand stitch the rows together (which you can see below).  Now I will glue the white row to the last row on the top, finally getting it ready for hand stitching!  See what I mean!  A ton of time in prep work…so I am going to set myself a GOAL…I will stitch TWO ROWS of clams shells every month until I get ‘er done!  That is 24 rows in a year…which means this quilt is going to take YEARS to complete…but I’m OK with that…and it IS all about the process, right?

       IMG_2249

I DO love the hand stitching part…and it is pretty…

Hey, anyone else feeling like linguine for dinner tonight…perhaps with a little clam sauce?  Suddenly I’m feeling like whipping up a batch and I DO have an old family favourite that is super simple and quick…and delish!  And it will free me up to stitch this puppy together!!

Clam Linguine

3 tbsp. oil
3 cloves garlic, halved
1/4 c. butter
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. parsley
salt and pepper
1 c. parmesan cheese
2 cans clams and juice
2 tbsp. sour cream or natural yogurt
Pasta of your choice, cooked al dente


Sauté garlic in oil, then discard once brown. Add clams, spices, lemon juice and butter. Simmer these together for 10 minutes. Add the sour cream or yogurt at the end, blending it in completely. Pour the mixture over the cooked pasta (linguine, shells or spaghetti pasta work well), stir in the parmesan cheese and serve.  YUM!

Hope you enjoy!

Have a super Saturday and Happy Quilting!~P

12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the clam shell quilt and the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful quilt and a lot of work. I enjoy hand sewing hexagons, not sure with curves.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep looking at the clamshell quilts and wondering if I'll ever start one. So lovely! That prep work is a bit time intensive though. I'll just keep on thinking about it for awhile.:) Sounds like you've got a good plan to keep after it though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the clam shells, and am designing a pattern right now with them - but EASY and FAST - only 3 per block, lol. 3 Clams, not rows! I think two rows a month is reasonable, that's a lot of handwork. Looking good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to admire your clam shell quilt and not make one. Sounds like too much work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely Lovely Paulette! I think pacing yourself with 2 rows a month is doable and maybe it will help in not burning out on it.

    I have a tutorial on my blog from several years back when I did mine. L-o-n-g before all the new patterns and different methods came along. My tutorial is my highest hit weekly and my all time hit posting.

    After I completed mine I thought of different ways I might try when I make another one. You might just check out my tutorial and see if there is something there that might peak an idea for you while working on yours. Just click on tutorials or clamshell in my labels sidebar.

    I sure like your red and green one and I defiantly think I will do another one, thinking I might like a red and white one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your clam shells look great but sound oh so fiddly to do. I must own up to never having eaten clams, not sure they sell them her either

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning I love your work on the clam shell quilt! All I can say is wow. I will cheer you on for 2 rows a month. I think I will pass on that one.
    I copied off your recipe and am going to try it. Sounds so delicious. How many servings do you know? Enjoyed my cup with you this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum.....I'm trying this recipe this next week

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh by the way I was going to try the clam shell quilt
    Pattern, but I think not now....I have to finish my
    Grandmothers flower garden.....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I love it but I would never have the patience for it. I can't wait to watch your progress.
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  12. All these clams look terrific together. It may seem like a long time to finish this, but it won't get done without your plan.

    ReplyDelete