Wednesday, October 15, 2014

House Hunting…Wanna Play…?

In my yesterday’s blog post I talked about wee houses…scrappy, wee houses!  As I set to work on the last leg to my Winter Solstice quilt… making the checkerboard border, I was still dreaming about those wee houses and wondering how long one house would actually take to make?…hmmm..?

So I swept these aside…

              IMG_2233

And got out my bag of scraps and set to work on the 4” house using the FREE paper piece templates.  THIRTY SIX minutes later…and I didn’t rush, as I had to wrap my head around paper piecing all over again…It had been too long…and I admit, I had to get my ripper out TWICE!

       IMG_2236

So here she is…and Scouts Honour… I enjoyed every moment…except for my brief dates with Jack the Ripper!  If I didn’t have the Winter Solstice quilt staring at me, I would have built more! 

I know, I know…I had to use the ripper twice but both times it was because I was scrimping on the fabric…once I flip the wee piece of fabric into position, the piece was too small to cover the whole spot.  I have to remember to be more generous with the fabric. :o) But other than that, it was a dream to put together!  I KNOW I could get that time down…but it’s all in the process not the time…right?

SEW…Here’s my question to you…does anyone want to join a SEW-ALONG where we make houses…lots and lots of houses…dang cute scrappy houses?  We would each set our own goals…you would pick the size of your house (3”-6”), method of making them (paper piece or traditional) and how many houses you want to make per month.

SEW…FOR EXAMPLE…my goal might be to make ten 4” paper pieced houses per month.  On the last day of the month we would show and tell our houses, similar to what we do with our Winter Solstice Quilt Sew-Along.  If you don’t have a blog, you would email me a picture of your houses for me to show for you.  There would be NO PRESSURE, if you get ‘er done, we would cheer you on, if life happens (and we know it DOES) and no houses get built that would be OK too…there is always next month!  AND just think of all the scraps that you would BUST!

We would start our houses in January…2015!

Give it some thought…TRY ONE…and see how easy they really are to make!  You could easily make five, ten, fifteen…twenty a month!  And at the end of the SEW-ALONG you would have a truly unique quilt made out of these stinking cute houses! Did I mention how cute they are in REAL LIFE?  :o) Come on, you know you wanna…

Go HERE for the FREE paper pieced templates or the traditional measurements…and have some fun!

Have a wicked Wednesday and Happy Stitching!~P

24 comments:

  1. This is so tempting since they are SEW cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that really sounds fun. I'm in. I bought a pattern for little houses on line and I really want to make some. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to join along, but I have sooo many unfinished projects started right now. I'll really have to think about it, they're very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...printed out pattern for 5'' houses and will see how it goes together and then gat back to you on the joining....doesn't look to hard to do

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be so fun and I'm glad you are not going to start until January.....yesterday I went to the blog you recommended building houses from scrap.....and she had a rubber stamp she was selling on etsy to make the houses, but her site was down.....so I emailed her.....I think it might be fun to make houses by hand.....her stamps were cool.....I hate paper piecing......so if she doesn't answer I'll try the other method.....I'll make one and see how it goes....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are waiting until Jan. to start. I think I'm going to join this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to do this but, and there is a but, I really do not want to carry all those scraps while we RV this winter. I will print out the PP pattern and perhaps do it when we return. enjoy be your own contractor! I look forward to building some houses in the spring. Till then...YOU GO GIRL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in! Glad it is for a January start. I think I will try a couple of sizes before I commit to which size. The tiny ones are cute, but don't know if I have the patience for them. I don't have a blog, so will be emailing my pix to you. This should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in--been looking for a fun way to use the expanding scrap heap! I printed papers for 3" blocks, but may try each size before deciding. Visited the blogs you posted. Who would have thought that so many out there are building houses! Looking forward to the new year's project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute!! I love house quilts. I could see making an adorable medallion border out of 6" houses - wouldn't that be the bomb? Not sure I can join the house hunt (book coming in February and my schedule is ridiculous!!!), but I'll watch from the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a fun project to consider. I almost did it the first go around, a friend decided to design her own houses in wool. Each was very different and whimsical. She made twenty of them. She had fun with the backgounds, from homespuns or fossil fern flannels.

    I'll have to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in , how can I not be? Wondering how they would work out in all the same colour, say all reds or blues. Might be a bit too much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this is so tempting, Miss P. Paper piecing and I do not get along. ugh! Might try one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These were too cute to pass up. I made two this afternoon. I can't wait until January so I'll start now and have a head start when January rolls around. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you are ready to roll out your housing development! my to-do list is too long at the moment, so will watch with delight once the houses get under construction! Have fun and thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in! Love the wee ones!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you got a great start on fabrics for your houses.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  18. very cute I have wanted to make a house quilt for awhile, I printed out the patterns have to test which size I like best.
    thanks for sharing the site with us.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  19. My head says NO but my heart says YES - I've loved these little houses for a long time now. I'll give you a tentative yes and hope that I have my act together on a few other projects by the time January rolls around.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are such a bad influence! lol Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I completely agree with Lori...you are a bad influence. Bad in a good way! LOL. After reading your post yesterday, I printed off 3" and 4" houses and went to work. I was so afraid that the 3" ers would be tough, but what fun they were. I in! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. S-T-O-P WITH THE TEMPTING CUTE HOUSES!!! Ha!

    I've had this pattern for a long while and just haven't ever gotten to it!!

    Like you, should I just take my arm and rake all my current projects to the side?! Why not….I've done it before!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are too cute not to try them out. Thanks for the link. Not to sure about the PP.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Been searching for a project to use all my stash and I think this will be it! Sign me UP!

    ReplyDelete