Monday, August 1, 2011

The Bottom of the Basket…

One of the quilters at Heritage (I’m sorry I didn’t catch your name!) bangs off charity quilt tops like there is no stopping her!!  She takes home all the donation fabrics and puts them together and creates quilts that amaze me! 

A few weeks ago she brought in 10 to 15 gorgeous quilt tops all ready to be quilted and bound…each one was lovelier than the next.  Then came the dreaded question to the rest of us..“Who would like to quilt and bind a quilt?”  Thank goodness the “good quilters” all volunteer…while the rest of us all squirm in our seats!  We were down to the last quilt and no more hands went up…and I had the thought…‘well I DO need the practice’ and so I volunteered.  And that’s no lie…I DO NEED THE PRACTICE!!

Did I stipple or meander or swirl?…NOPE!!  I ended up doing wavy line quilting…after a few DAYS of stippling, meandering and swirling practice.  Sheesh…I am NEVER going to master quilting!  AND I just couldn’t wreck this quilter’s wonderful top!  I did learn how to stop and start quilting without that little jag of stitches…

Anyways it’s quilted and bound…and ready for the Charity basket.  I’ll try to slip it to the bottom of the basket..so that no one sees…:o) P1140897

Here’s a peek~

   P1140892It’s a good thing babies aren’t fussy…

Have a marvelous Monday and Happy Quilting!~P

20 comments:

  1. You did a great job Paulette! It's a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty new to quilting, and I think it looks great. Please share the secret of starting and stopping without the extra stitches showing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I don't even try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paulette, I really love your quilting. It enhances the design, but doesn't take over. I sometimes think some quilts are over-quilted and take over the design. Yours looks perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. way too hard on yourself! I like the idea of the wavey line...never thought of that. Thanks for the Go info...gonna go lust afterone and see what they look like!..price wise that is... the baby was advertised at $99 on sale...hummm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paulette, your quilting is lovely. I don't think a baby quilt requires much quilting. In fact, I agree with Apple Avenue Quilts. Sometimes the quilts I see have so much quilting, it's hard to see the blocks. I'm all for simple. Besides, quilting is not meant to be perfect, It's meant to be enjoyable and relaxing.lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the wavy lines! It has to beat this free motion stuff that I can't master!! So how do you stop the little jag of stitches when ending? Mine still does it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. now you know I am not a quilter so anything you do looks bee-u-tiful to me..jaggy lines or not!..great work Paulette..the quilt should be on the top not at the bottom of the pile!!.nice work!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wavy lines look as nice as any meander would. You don't need to try and hide this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your wavy lines are great and a child will love them. I love the comments are over-quilting. A couple friends and I refer to that as "quilted to death!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're too hard on yourself sweetie, it's perfect! Just the right amount of quilting for a baby. I'm never going to master free-motion either, I've given up and am quite comfortable with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paulette, I think you did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a wonderful job and that design works perfectly with the fabrics. I really need to get to quilting my tops and making charity quilts, hopefully this doc has it right and I might just be back to normal in a month;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you did a wonderful job, no quilter should ever not be proud of their work. No matter what we always put our heart and soul into it.
    Like you I have been trying to get passed the straight line quilting but just can't seem to make it. I keep telling myself to stop being so fussy who ever gets this quilt will love it. Blessings Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stop being so critical of your work!! It looks great. I am a beginner quilter & am not sure I'll actually ever get anything quilted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd have done the same thing. A woman after my own heart. Looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did a great job! Nothing to be ashamed of there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that looks great. Don't forget too that when we are doing the quilting we are working up close and personal, whereas when it's in use people aren't usually examining it like that.

    So, now can we see a picture of the whole top please? Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Sweet Paulette, you're simply too hard on yourself - it looks fabulous! Hold your head up high and be proud of your work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did a great job! I've quilted 594 quilts and still don't think I'm perfect. Just keep quilting and each one will get better and better. Practice, practice practice and keep raising your hand for the next one! I promise you nobody has ever handed back a quilt and said the quilting wasn't good enough :) On to the next one, and the next and the next.

    ReplyDelete