Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Spreading the LOVE…

Yup…that’s me, spreading some LOVE your way this morning!!  :o))

I have been working on my Moda Love table topper…it was the FREE project put out by Moda for the ‘Moda LOVE Blog Hop’!  This is the Jan Patek version of the quilt…with a few modifications!  Quilters have the right to change it up a bit…right?

So here it is in the sections that Jan talks about in her video on how to make this quilt.

IMG_2037 - Copy

Her advice is to work on the applique in sections as the quilt is easier to handle that way.  Jan is the Queen of Applique so I followed her advice…and she was SEW right!  Much easier!

To sew my half square triangles I pulled these ‘Stitching Lines’ from my cupboard!  These babies are worth their weight in gold!  I had used my first package up!  (They were a gift from the creator…you can read about that HERE! Mary from Marin &Colusa is one VERY smart quilter!)  Not to worry…I found more Stitching Lines at Monica’s Quilt Shop down south! LOVE THEM!! You can find them HERE on Mary’s blog!!

IMG_2013

Instead of drawing lines corner to corner, you cut the Stitching Lines to length, place it on top of your square, corner to corner…and sew away.  In two seconds you have your triangles made…correction… your PERFECT triangles made!!

IMG_2014

I chain pieced them…and in one second had the papers off.  They are made from that soft paper that tears with very little effort!

IMG_2015

And of course, you SAVE the left overs for smaller squares down the road!!

IMG_2017

Then I got out my Bloc Loc Ruler…another product that I LOVE!!  This ruler is worth every penny!!  LOVE IT!!! (told you this post was all about LOVE)

IMG_2018

Another thing that I LOVE is to use up stuff that I have been hoarding for a long time!!  I have an Applique Bin and inside that bin is a ziplock bag full of left overs…WELL…I managed to use the left over vines from another project…

IMG_2038 - Copy

…and the left over Butcher Paper leaves…

IMG_2047

I found four left over stars…

IMG_2048

I even found the left over berries!!  This saved me a TON of work!  It pays to be a HOARDER!!

IMG_2049

I also tried out these applique pins that were inside the tote that my daughter made me for my birthday!  LOVE* LOVE *THEM!!

IMG_2050

Then I pinning everything down…

IMG_2051

Everything was going so smoothly until I hit a snag…I smelled something burning…WHAT THE?

IMG_2052

I have NO IDEA what that thick hunk of plastic was…but it gave off a foul odour and it was a gummy mess!!  I did not LOVE this!!  I must remember to get rid of the clutter…:o)

IMG_2053

In the middle of Jan’s quilt she appliqued a sweet house…on mine I wanted a wreath…just because!  So I sprayed the vine with starch and moulded it around a lid..and ironed it to take on that shape…and it stayed!  Never throw away lids…

IMG_2054

Yup…it’s taking shape!

IMG_2055

I will stitch the vines and then start placing….IMG_2056

…the rest of the do-dads!

IMG_2059

Ahhhhhh…there is nothing like spreading the LOVE!!

Have a terrific Tuesday and Happy Stitching!~P

16 comments:

  1. LOVE what you are doing with this block!!! It's going to be LOVERLY!!!!! (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love your ideas. Just need some time later today to dig into my stash and see what is hiding out. Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really beautiful, love the design I do have a bird quilt from the older prim mag and still want to make it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's going to be adorable! You've made my wish list bigger! It's so big now that I had to wait about 30 seconds for it to load! sigh...

    LOVE your block!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the Love quilt comes in different sizes from 2 1/2", to 5" to 10" layer cake! I also love how you are adapting Jans design to make your own and using some leftovers to do it.

    Congratulations on your rapid progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say that's LOVE! Thanks for sharing your tips and tricks. I have my favorite rulers too for squaring DOWN my blocks. I prefer to make the squares bigger then trim them to get accurate HST's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first glance, I thought the package of pins said "hand dipped". Made it sound like ice-cream.....which I want some of right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love what you're working on and love those appliqué pins. They are a favorite of mine. Hoarding has gotten a bad wrap lately. Glad you shared a redeeming situation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Jan's version also and your table topper is going to be gorgeous. It's on my to do list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful to find a use for so many leftovers. You're one smart lady. Thanks for the endorsement!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jan's sample of this was my favorite, so I immediately printed out the directions. Love the way you're finishing yours and of course can't wait to see your completed project

    ReplyDelete
  12. how lovely this is can`t say the same about the poor iron, did it clean up okay?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how your LOVE quilt is turning out! It pays to be a saver :)

    Happy Stitching,
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you mean to flip the blocks around the center star? How did you clean that plastic off of your iron. Thanks for all you share.

    ReplyDelete