Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Walk in the Park…

My hubby and I have been doing a lot of hiking this year…everyday we take the dogs to a Nature Park in Mill Bay and two or three days a week we take them on longer hikes.  There are tons of Parks in our area with marked trails throughout the woods…usually following a lake or a river or the ocean and all have their own beauty!

I thought you’d like to see some of the trails that we took yesterday…we followed Holt Creek and then wound our way back through the woods to the parking lot.

Holt Creek is pristine and very picturesque…

image

I love the colours of the creek…the emerald and jade greens… sparkling clean…makes you want to jump in, doesn’t it?

image

Nothing like spending the long weekend floating down the creek…hope they realize that this creek joins up with the Cowichan River!!

image

I loved this part of the trail…see the ferns?  They must have been 5-6 feet tall!

image

And you didn’t have to bend over to go under this tree.

image

A smaller creek flowing into the Holt.  Looks almost man made doesn’t it!

image

This hike took us just over two hours…and we were hot and sweaty by the time we got back to the parking lot!!  The dogs LOVED their walk…and so did we!

ON THE SEWING FRONT~

I cut out the binding for the Dresden Quilt last night and hopefully will stitch it on today…then I will stitch the label on and in plenty of time for the birthday… which is on Friday!!  :o)

When the urge to do hand work hits, this is what I have been working on~

It’s a UFO that I pulled out of the cupboard.  It’s called Button Town…and I started it over a year ago…maybe two? P1140556

The houses are all hand appliquéd and I’m am just putting a dab of Roxanne’s glue under each window before I stitch them down.

I love the fabrics in the little 1 1/4” squares…I included some of the Japanese textured fabrics that I picked up at Road to California a few years back.  Really adds to the texture and depth of the whole piece.

P1140559

The pattern is from Quiltmania magazine…

P1140560

…and their version looks like this-

P1140561

I decided to appliqué fabric squares for windows rather than use buttons.  No, Button Town will not go buttonless…red buttons will still go on the vine under the town’s buildings.

GIVE AWAY!!  If you didn’t drop by yesterday then you missed one heck of a good party but there are still a few hearty souls in the Conga Line…and the GIVE AWAY is still going strong.  Join in here, leave a comment and kick up your heels!!  Good luck!  Thanks to everyone for all the lovely, wonderful comments…very sweet of you!!

Have a super sunny Sunday and Happy Quilting!~P

19 comments:

  1. What a lovely place to hike! I love hiking but we don't have anything like that here. Plus it's all completely flat. I especially like the tree that you cross under.

    Button Town looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your little houses. I have been trying to resist the pull to start a house quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing pics of your wilderness.

    I live Very near the St. Joseph River. Baugo Creek runs to the river, and many acres 3 blocks south of my home have been bought by the county for a park. We have spent many hours in the lat 20+ years hiking trails, swimming and fishing the creek, river and pond.

    The boys train for Ju Jitsu by running up the toboggan hill when there is no snow the jump in the creek to cool off.

    I wish everyone knew how wonderful it is to live in a rural area.

    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some great hiking trails and they look pretty secluded. That Quilt Mania magazine is pretty cool. Sometimes it's fun to switch things around so have fun at Button Town. Enjoy your Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  5. great day for a walk in the forest!!!...happy quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly know how to find lovely places to walk the dogs Paulette! Button Town will be a wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful place for a walk and looks cooler too, lol. I am sweating today, way too hot to walk and with threats of thunderstorms, I don't dare go out in the boat.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I could say was WOW, WOW, WOW on your hiking trail. Wish we had trails like that where we live, but we don't. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss having trails like that to walk. Yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hurry and finish Button Town. I like house quilts a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I do believe you love Mother Nature as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would walk every day with a trek like that nearby! Just beautiful, peaceful and inspirational!

    Love the houses quilt. I think I have one in my future once a few UFO's/WIP's are crossed off the list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your photos of your hike are awesome! What a beautiful area you live in. Aren't you enjoying this weather! I am addicted to QuiltMania and love your button town redition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful place to hike. Thanks for sharing it with us. I like the quilt too, it is already awesome. :)

    Have a great week!

    God bless and keep you,
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  15. button town was one of the quilts I"ve always wanted to make! Yours is looking so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty hike, wish I could have been there. Your button town is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing all the lovely photo's...looks like a beautiful place to hike! Believe it or not, just a week or so ago I was wondering whatever happened to your button town project! I have the pattern also, but haven't made it yet. It's on my "to make someday" list along with at least twenty or thirty other patterns...{sigh}. I really love the fabrics you've used and can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a gorgeous place for a walk - really lovely! I love your quilt Paulette, I like your version much better than the magazine's. It's just warmer and prettier. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful place, so peaceful to see.

    ReplyDelete