Monday, November 12, 2012

Homemade Friends…

Saturday night I hauled out my Snow Days Bin…yes, BIN!  For the past couple of years I have been buying and dyeing wool to make the ‘Snowy Days Quilt’ by Heart to Hand. 

When I want to make a wool quilt, the wool just doesn’t drop out of the sky…I slowly ‘acquire’ it either by dyeing the wool or finding a piece at a Quilt Shop or online or in a Thrift Shop, in the form of a jacket or skirt.  I label the bin and slowly my pieces are put in…when the bin is full and they have ‘mellowed’, then the time is right…

P1200782

Yup…this wool is JUSSSSSTTT RIGHT!

P1200781

Tucked into the bin was also this pattern…I honestly don’t remember buying it…I’m thinking Garage Sale…somewhere!  NO, I haven’t stooped to wearing a sweatshirt decorated in wool appliqué…but I do LOVE these snowmen!  I guess my thinking was…these snowmen would be perfect made up in my Snow Days wool…and…that’s why the pattern was put in THIS bin!?  (I tell you these Senior moments are BAAAAD!!)

P1200786

And before I knew what possessed me, I discovered that I was RIGHT…it’s dang cute!  And you know what they say…twos company..threes a crowd…

P1200793

Well how about SIX Homemade Friends?

P1200784 Isn’t this speckled black wool PERFECT for the background…Claire ordered it for us…(whenever she places a wool order she emails me and we go half…she is SUCH an enabler!!  BUT I love it!)

Throw on some snowflakes…and this runner is ALMOST perfect.  This project needs pennies or tongues on the ends…with snowflakes embroidered on…then it will be PERFECT!  P1200791  See the mottled cream snowman…this wool was a small fortune…bought at the Primitive Gatherings booth at Road…but worth every penny!  And the green wool in the toque from the Pendleton Wool Mills in Portland! 

What I’m trying to say here is, Rome wasn’t built in a day.  It takes time and patience to find the perfect piece of wool for a Wool Project…oh and did I mention money!  Wool ain’t cheap!  Even when you dye it yourself, you still have to start with a piece of wool and the dye costs money too.  So Wool Work is definitely not for the faint of heart…but when the runner/quilt/mat comes together, doesn’t it make your heart sing!  (Sure hope my hubby’s not reading this!!  Shhh…don’t tell him…I told him wool grows on trees!:)

I predict that tomorrow is going to be a Snowy Day…for sure!

Have a Magical Monday and Happy Quilting!~P

9 comments:

  1. Love it! I know..wool is expensive..I took a "soft doll" class yesterday at Pioneer Quilts and one gal there was amazed at the bit of wool that I brought..I brought enough to make three dolls as I didn't know which I would make...told her been collecting it for two years.

    Love the new pattern and one of these days I will splurge and make a Heart to Hand pattern. love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That came out so cute, love it. I do love when I find the perfect wool to put in a piece and the mottled coloring.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! Who is the designer? I have to have that pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your black with white speckles wool, where did Claire Find the fabric?

    Your snowmen are very cute, nice fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your snowmen. They're so adorable. And I hear ya on the cost of wool...ouch! But, you're right, that perfect piece just makes everything come together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paulette, with friends like this, you won't have to go through all the agony that Rick has in selecting just the perfect Christmas gift.

    ReplyDelete