Saturday, October 16, 2010

Marking another Friday Night Sew IN…

Yesterday I needed to mark some dark wool for appliqué and stitching…but HOW to mark it?…If you have ever tried to mark dark wool or wool felt then you KNOW how difficult it is!  Almost impossible!

So I pulled out my bag of marking pens…

P1100306 I pulled out my light pencils…

Look at the results- the white is smudged and just barely visible, the yellow…nothing…but look at the sliver of SOAP!  YUP, a sliver of soap… And look at how fine the line is..perfect…and it’s guaranteed to wash out but will rubbed out when you are ready for the line to disappear!!  Loving it…and man does it smell good!! :o) AND it’s FREE!!

P1100307

So I tried these plus my new mechanical marking pencil on 100% cotton…The white pencil shows up better on the cotton, the yellow shows but still not great, the soap is bright white with a solid fine line and the mechanical is great too (pink line)…but costs over $15!! (I couldn’t use the mechanical pencil on wool as the lead got caught in the fibres of wool and broke or snagged the wool.)  What do you think?  P1100310   That’s what I thought too…time to lather up!!  I think mine is Dove Soap as it smells wonderful…you may want to buy a non-scented soap if you are sensitive to smells..but for me…I’m liking it!!

Friday Night Sew In~

image

My Rob Peter to Pay Paul quilt is slowly growing after our Friday Night Sew In… SEW how did you do?

P1100312 

Have a super soapy Saturday and Happy Quilting!~P

16 comments:

  1. My Mom always used soap too. I'm loving your Rob Peter to pay Paul quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, marking and cleaning in one step, lol.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, but what if you use coloured soap? (giggle)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that quilt. Never heard of using soap for marking...thanks for sharing that tip

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea!! Wish I'd learned this before last night! I've just used a regular old ball point pen and cut INSIDE the marked line. This would have been SO much easier! :)
    And I love the quilt!

    ~Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. PAULETTE,I LOVE THESE BLOCKS! ARE THOSE FABRICS STILL AVAILABLE? THANKS SO FOR SHARING,LOVE,LINDA

    jldouglas@wispwest.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! Thanks for the tip!!! I'm always afraid to mark my quilt tops for fear it won't wash out.... not any more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soap is a GREAT idea. I never would have thought of that. I will have to file that one away. Thank you for letting us know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that robbing peter to oay oaul is making my fingers twitchm they're wanting to stich small little sprinkles of little leaves and posies here and there on those solid centers. is beautiful colors!!!
    ps soap slives do work well!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a quick comment. I was always told to only use Ivory soap because it doesn't have any oils in it--like Dove's cold cream! Ivory worked for me for years!
    Lurking Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your Rob Peter to Pay Paul quilt, so nice with the Garden Party fabric. I might have to look for that GO die. I never tonight of using soap for marking fabric, thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey great minds think alike - that's what I use on darks too! I prefer Ivory, lol.
    Loving your RPPP quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, wow! I have heard about marking with soap before, but I'm a "see to believe" kind of person - and I didn't really believe till I saw this post! Thank you! I'll definitely keep this in mind!

    Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea for marking. But now I have to go buy a bar a soap - only liquid soap is in my house right now. Beautiful work on your quilt top

    ReplyDelete