Sunday, October 7, 2012

Let’s Talk Turkey!

Happy Thanksgiving!  Last year I got to experience Thanks Giving TWICE…once here in Canada (before we left for down south) and then once again in November while we were Snowbirding down in Southern California.  I guess you could say that I was doubly Thankful!

How does the American Thanksgiving and the Canadian Thanksgiving differ…?  Well they don’t really.  We both serve a wonderful Turkey Dinner with all the trimmings and we are all about being Thankful but because our Canadian Thanksgiving is in early October we are more about the ‘Harvest’ and ‘Fall Bounty’ and what is coming out of the garden…and the word ‘Christmas’ isn’t uttered at our Thanksgiving…if fact we don’t even think about Christmas…YIKES!  The American Thanksgiving is at the end of November so it seems to be the kick off or the warm-up or the countdown to Christmas!  Their Thanksgiving is followed by BLACK FRIDAY…man, I LOVED Black Friday!  You get up early, REALLY EARLY and hit the stores where everything is on half price…or less! (you can read about the three Canadian Snowbirders experiencing their very first Black Friday HERE!) I would like to  have ALL celebrations followed by a Black Friday!!  But alas…no Black Fridays here…

What I did notice a difference in was the Christmas Dinners.  Here in Canada we once again have a big Turkey Dinner with all the trimmings…it has been well over two months since our last big dinner so we are in the mood for more turkey!  In the US, it’s been only a month since their last Turkey Dinner..no one wants to eat turkey again…so they have ham or roast beef for their Christmas Dinner.  We had a hard time finding a restaurant serving a Turkey Dinner with all the trimmings…BUT we did!  And I’m sure that restaurant was full of Canadian Snowbirders! :o)

So there you have it…the differences in our meals…I guess that means that Canadians are full of Turkey!…and proud of it!!

Have a Sunny Sunday and a very Happy Thanksgiving…and hopefully a little bit of quilting… in between drumsticks! ~P

17 comments:

  1. A very Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving, Paulette. For our American holidays, we have turkey for Thanksgiving, usually ham for Christmas, and sauerkraut and pork for New Years (that's for good luck).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving to you Paulette!

    We generally have turkey for both holidays in our home. I love turkey but don't go through the trouble to cook it at any other time. Black Friday is an experience! It's kind of a holiday here but most American's have to work on Black Friday. Compared to most countries, we get fewer paid holidays. I personally get 10 but that is rare. Some business do close - like law and doctor offices.

    I love the idea of having Thanksgiving when Christmas isn't breathing down your neck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your comparison of Canadian and American Thanksgivings. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving! I think it would be much nicer to have Thanksgiving in October instead of November. We always had turkey for Christmas when I was growing up, but the family units seems smaller for Christmas dinner, so we seldom go for that large a meal anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Paulette. Turkey on Thanksgiving and much to MY dismay ham on Christmas. I have been known to sneak in a turkey on Christmas, too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving! You have a lot of quilts, fabric and talent to be grateful for! I'm grateful this Thanksgiving for wonderful blog friends like you!

    Cheery wave from
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving, Paulette! We have turkey for Christmas too, usually because hubby buys in bulk, lol. So we have them on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Pauline, that was very interesting, as we dont have Thanksgiving at all in Australia. I grew up having turkey for Christmas lunch though (even if it was 35C) and a hot pudding, but my in laws often have other roast meat, like beef and pork and salad if its hot! I LOVE hot Christmas dinner....turkey and the trimmings for me please, I would enjoy the excuse to have it twice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving!! It seems like just a short time ago you were out checking the bargains on Black Friday!

    I am taking the week before Thanksgiving off work this year. Maybe I'll get ready to prepare the big meal...maybe not. We don't like Turkey much so in the past few years I have been making Lasagna. We'll see. Anyway, it will be less costly than the spread..more $$ for early Friday sales!!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I'm going to start celebrating with the Canadians. I would like a little more time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Seems everything gets all squished together and there is no time to just sit back and enjoy. You guys up north got it right on this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happiest of Thanksgivings to you, SweetP!. I am thankful for the bounty of expert advice you give to us and many pleasurable moments on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Thanksgiving! We used to eat turkey at Thanksgiving and then again for Christmas when I was growing up. When we all grew up, we decided two turkey dinners so close together was too much, so we seem to do something different for Christmas each year. Black Friday.... you all can have it!! I would rather pay full price than fight the crowds! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Paulette. Thank you for the comparison I found it to be interesting, how they differ. Tell me where were you able to find a turkey dinner in the desert for Christmas, as I haven't been able to, yet. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in America and my husband loves turkey, so we always have turkey for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. When we lived in Erie, Pa, there are a lot of Italians who would have lasagna for Thanksgiving instead of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete