Thursday, July 5, 2012

It’s Recess…Time for FUN!

My friend, Claire and I finally met for a celebratory luncheon in honour of her retirement…it was TIME for a get together anyway but it’s always nice to celebrate something!!  AND it doesn’t get any sweeter than retirement!

WE have been on countdown to Claire’s retirement all school year!!  When she would tell me about the kids in her Kindergarten Class flying high at the Halloween Party, I would remind her that it was the LAST Halloween Party…or the LAST open house…or the last trip to the beach (in the rain!) or the LAST Sports Day (in the rain) and (hopefully) the last poopy pants! (the kid’s pants, not Claire’s…haha)  (Hey, Google doesn’t like poopy!!  But then who likes poopy…right Claire?)

I digress…all month I have been working on Claire’s retirement gift and not a word about it has escaped my lips!  I have been dying to SHOW you!  SEW here it is…Claire’s Schoolhouse Quilt…

  P1190196 

In Claire’s 32 years as a teacher (mostly in the Kindergarten/Primary area) she has taught in a total of FIVE schools…hence the five schools on the quilt!  (Good thing Claire doesn’t move around a lot! :)

P1190198 

Anyway…Claire liked it..a lot! P1190201

Here is a picture of it in Claire’s backyard…looking right at home!

The other things on the seat of the chair are gifts from her sister, Doreen and her two Aunts…

image

These three ladies KNOW the way to Claire’s heart!!  Let me show you a close-up…Can you see what they bought her?…Yup..that’s a Round Trip Ticket to Palm Springs!!  YAHOO!! 

Next January, Claire will be going on a Quilter’s HOLIDAY…which will include a day at The Road to California Quilt Show…with ME…and the rest of the Clubhouse Quilters!!

image

And can you see the other places Claire will be going?  Yup, every Quilt Shop between Palm Springs and San Diego…and up the I-5 (or I-10…whatever…a slight technicality!)  Which means WE will get to go too…yes..YOU get to go too!! (Via Blogland! Notice I say that quickly…I don’t want a thousand of you arriving all at once!) We are going to have so much fun!!  I hyperventilate just thinking about it!! 

Yes, these ladies KNOW how to give a GREAT gift!

image

We have ONLY SIX months to plan this week of high jinx!!  My poor husband/chauffeur!  haha He’s going to love it!!  Really!

The last thing that I wanted to show you, was the HARVEST!  Look at what Claire’s husband GREW…a miracle, as we have had no sunshine!  Only a true GREEN THUMB could do that!

P1190202

I can’t wait for dinner tonight!!  Thanks, Max!

And after dinner, we pick up my youngest daughter from the airport and tomorrow two more arrive…plus BF and grand-dog!  AND BONUS…the SUN is shining…that’s TWO days in a row!!  I think summer is FINALLY HERE!!  Let the good times roll!!

I hope you have a thrilling Thursday and Happy Quilting!~P

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt and perfect for a teacher, I like how you did the simple stitching around the houses.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt! I love the pieced border you did! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WELL DONE.... What a special gift to your friend. She will certainly treasure it forever. And what fun you will have in Palm Springs. Thanks for the invite to join you in blogland. I already have it marked on my calendar. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome gift for Clare! Someone needs to warn Southern California about you, Clare and the high jinx you're planning. I'm not doing it, I'm not a tattletale. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like it's going to be the perfect weekend for you and your family. And good times for your recently retired friend, Claire. Love the school house quilt. My best friend, who lives in New Westminster, is retiring next year (she also teaches primary grades and has for 43 years) and this would be the perfect gift for her. Guess I better get started!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Paulette!
    Don't ya know, we arrived on the Island and the sun started to shine, all the way from the Prairies! LOL
    Lovely quilt for Claire!
    Enjoy your wonderful time with your family!
    Take care, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet quilt to commemorate your friend's retirement! And your trip sounds amazing. You will have a ball.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That quilt is adorable and what a nice commemorative to your friends retirement. P.S.I am planning on going to Road to Calif. also!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sweet gift/s for a retired teacher! Love the border on the quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Claire might be wishing she had taught at a lot more schools so she could have a queen or king size quilt! A very appropriate quilt pattern for her retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paulette, the school house quilt is fabulous! I can imagine she loved receiving it! And won't you all have fun visiting quilt shops! I know what you mean about summer starting...our two children arrived last week...the start of summer for us! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic gift quilt!! Love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE your School House quilt. Perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My neighbor here in Blaine has broccoli in her garden as well and I haven't even got anything growing at all. I'm going to replant this weekend, I'll be harvesting at Christmas time. I did see some red spots in the raspberry patch, I shall be picking this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, LOVE the red schoolhouses, what a fabulous trip you are going to have next Jan!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great schoolhouse blocks, lucky friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can feel your excitement through the blog Paulette. Enjoy those daughters!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really, really like the school houses, love the grays with the red and the addition of the contrasting big stitch, what a perfect gift. So much fun to look forward to for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Spectacular retirement gift - from you and the others!
    You two will have the time of your lives touring the quilt shop.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perfect gift for Claire...well enjoy your time together in retirement..
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like the school house quilt. It is beautiful! I have read your blog for a long time but this is my first comment.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like you two will be up to some heavy duty shopping.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete