Friday, October 23, 2015

Wee Houses...continued...


SEW....are you wondering what happened to my Wee Houses?  

Well, after much thought...experimenting with different backgrounds and cornerstones...I decided to go with... 




...the navy print(with wee white stars) and gold cornerstones!  Decision made...or so I thought!


 I got my first (1 1/4") sashing sewn on, joining the houses...then decided that the paper on the back of each house HAD to come off ...UGH!  I was removing paper for days...seriously...DAYS~


                           

I was like a surgeon with my tools...picks, tweezers, pliers, knitting needle but my best tool ended up being the wooden bamboo skewer!  It pierced the paper but left the fabric alone...and of course tweezers to get into the corners!  Seriously...two audio books and several movies later to 'get 'er done'!


And three piles of this...not to mention a dog who thought it was snow...which meant PLAYTIME!!  We are talking paper throughout the entire house!  But it was a small price to pay because these 4" (finished) houses are dang SWEET!

 And like all quilters everywhere, I CAN and DID, change my mind!  All that agonizing over colour went out the window...and so did those gold cornerstones!  I found they made the quilt too busy...way too busy!  Sometimes less is more!

So I have HALF the quilt together...the paper is ALL removed...and much to Rylie's sadness... the whole house has been vacuumed!:o))

Stay tuned...

Have a FUN Friday and Happy Quilting!~P

23 comments:

  1. And THAT is why I don't paper piece. All that work! But your little houses are certainly worth it. They are beautiful and I love your sashing choice. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your choice for sashing. Really sets the houses and trees off. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty neighborhood. I love the addition of the the tree blocks. Your sashing is the perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And how are those clam shells coming along?? :)))))) Love your color choice and the "wee houses!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fabric choice, clear starry nights are perfect for you neighbourhood Paulettr!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I had known before you started taking the paper off. I soak my blocks and the paper just sort of peels off on it's own. Next time try that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, the sashing fabric is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are building a city and that takes time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cute houses and trees. My kind of quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those navy blue stars set the houses off so well. Love it. What is the back going to be, the same? Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs, Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paulette, your fabric choice for sashing looks wonderful, I love those little houses. This quilt is definitely a keeper. I would love to make one, but I've no patience for paper piecing so might make one with a larger block. Perhaps a five- or six-inch block, then no paper peeling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your wee houses are looking adorable! Perfect choice for the sashing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, so cute! Love the little houses and trees. I started some of those houses ages ago...maybe I should get back to them. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That makes a really fun background for the houses, gives it a whole new look, nice choice.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh, I like the night-time sky sashing that you chose. Pops all the colors and adds depth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is looking so good, had a chuckle reading about removing the papers etc rather you than me

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would have to take the paper off too, that would drive me bonkers! I really love the blue sashing, it really pops the houses. Too darling!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes indeed Paulette, I was wondering what happened with your Wee Houses. It's amazing how much we are agonizing and changing our minds in quilting! As regards your result after all this, I must say it is sooooo successful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely LOVE this. Making a wee house quilt has been on my bucket list for about three years now, since they first because all the rage across blogland. Beautiful just doesn't cut it, my friend! I love the addition of the trees as well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your wee houses are going to be outstanding! I love the blue with the stars that you chose. I just found out that I am going to be a Great Grandmother again. I have 5 boys and 1 sweet little girl! I have another boy on the way and my sweet little girl is going to be a big sister! We don't know the sex of that one yet. So 8 is enough for a bit. I guess you know what I will be doing for a while. Have a great weekend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete