Monday, October 12, 2015

Stranded on a Deserted Island...

If YOU were stranded on a deserted island ...an island with unlimited fabric and a sewing room extraordinaire...and you were allowed to bring ONLY one quilting book, which book would you take?

Yes, I ponder these dilemmas all the time...haha!  I know, I know...it would NEVER happen... but what IF?  (Do you see the thinking bubble appearing above my head....?)

This is the book that I would take...

Yup...this OLD book (1988) by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes!  Apparently I love this book SEW much that I bought TWO copies...

 And then they released a REVISED copy!  Yup...I have it...THREE books!  THIS is the book that I would take to the deserted island with me!  See all those stickies marking ALL the quilts that are on my 'TO DO LIST'...well those are the quilts that I would make while on that island... in that incredible sewing room, working with all that amazing fabric!

Let me show you a peek into my all time favourite book....just a few of the quilts that I have tagged!  Like this four patch...LOVE IT!!

 And I have always wanted to make a two colour Double Nine Patch...
 And check out this variation....nice hey!  Ok...get rid of the flowery border and put on something nicer...out of all that unlimited fabric!
 Hop Scotch Nine Patch has my heart singing...it is a MUST MAKE!!  Please DO NOT RESCUE ME UNTIL THIS QUILT IS FINISHED!

And check out this spool quilt...it has a modern-vintagey feel to it!  I'm thinking of adding lots of 'low volume' fabric to this one!

 And I have always wanted to make a two colour way Bear's Paw....
 And this sweet Kaleidoscope made out of that REALLY expensive Liberty fabric because, hey, it's THERE...in my unlimited stash!  I say dream BIG!
 And of course there is THAT basket quilt...
 ...AND the tree quilt, the house quilts, the gingerbread quilt, the Star of Bethlehem, the Sampler, the OMG Pineapple Log Cabin, and the Thousand Pyramids...I'd show you pictures but I don't want to break copyright and have my books taken away!

Why THREE books you ask?...well...I planned that!  One might get eaten by sharks while on my way to the deserted island... and then there are those PIRATES...yikes!  Ahoy matey...they will love this book!  And the new (1997) copy is for ME...it does have all those stickies marking my favourite pages... A girl has got to be prepared!!  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Moral of the story...don't judge a book by it's cover or by it's age!  Old and tattered isn't necessarily bad!  Think of it as being tested by time!  Now excuse me, while cull my books!

Have a magical Monday and Happy Stitching!~P




22 comments:

  1. I so agree with you. Love that book!! I think I just saw they are releasing a 3rd edition - you might need it too! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure, right now it is my Creative Stitching book from Sue Spargo, which technically isn't a quilting book. I'll think on it.

    Glad to see I'm not the only owner of duplicate books!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I hope I can find it!
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please can you tell which of the three editions you are showing, especially in which one is the double four-patch??
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But then the next question is if you were on that deserted island, which SEWING MACHINE couldn't you live without??!!!
    ps: I have loved that book since it first came out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have to agree that it is one of my all time favorites. She has a great color sense and I love all of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know why that book isn't on my bookshelf. The quilts you showed are fabulous! Good luck getting to them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Quilter's bible, has some great blocks and show's how to make them

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strange...I have had that book since the first edition came out and have only looked at the pictures! I recently purchased 101 Fabulous Quilts and want to make every one of them. Do you remember the original Georgia Bonesteel quilt-as-you-go books? I also used a lot of Thimbleberries publications. I would have to have an internet connection on my island. I'm going to pull out my QQQ book tonight and think about being on a deserted island?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that book and also have multiple copies. Thanks for refreshing my memory of the beautiful quilts in it. I can see a couple of IJGD (I Just Gotta Do) quilts that will help reduce the size of my stash! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for reminding me of this book. I hadn't looked at it for quite some time, so I've made a cup of tea and am going to enjoy looking through it again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Make sure that book goes with you to heaven where you'll have all the time in the world to make them all. BTW--haven't seen you posting that you've got the Farmhouse Threads blog block prepped yet--I do-not stitched though. Got to get busy hooking or my Santa won't be done for this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So funny- I guess you really love that book. You are not the only one who has bought the same item more than once......

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paulette gracias por recordarme este libro!!
    lo tengo y afortunadamente traducido al español
    me encanta
    disfrútalo
    buena semana

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had that book since it first came out, but have forgotten about it. Guess I'd better take another look. Some of the "older" ideas actually appeal to me more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know you like it if you bought it twice......or three times.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the book that started it all for me. I bought a copy for my sister and as soon as she unwrapped it, I asked to borrow it as soon as she was done. The rest - 23 years later - history!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have that book and haven't looked at it for a long time. I better pull that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too have this book but think I would have one of Jennie Rayment`s trouble is which one would I choose?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I learned quilting with that book! Great choice Paulette!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this book to pieces! I can't think of any other quilting book this old that still makes my heart beat a little faster every time I look at it. I'm actually hand piecing the spool blocks as a long term project. I can finish one a night when I'm in the mood!

    ReplyDelete