Saturday, June 6, 2015

Cindy's Sewing Secrets...


There were quite a few questions for Cindy regarding her 'Snowman A to Zzzz Quilt' and all of her wonderful tips and secrets!  Lucky for us, Cindy took the time to answer them ALL and then some!  So without further ado, here's CINDY!!


I used a Pellon fusible from JoAnn's on the back of my blocks, which were Kona cotton in (appropriately) "Snow."  I no longer have the sheet that came with it, so I can't provide the product number.  Though light weight, it gave the blocks the firmness I wanted in a wallhanging but was still easy to stitch through.  Since then I have discovered Pellon Shape Flex SF 101.  It is a fusible, but much more fabric-like than the other Pellon product, and is closer to the muslin lining called for in the directions.

I should have also mentioned that I did my tracing with a red Frixion pen.  It moves smoothly over the fabric, and any tracing boo boos can be quickly "erased" by applying heat.  The entire design will disappear when you iron on the fusible backing, but will reappear after 15 - 20 minutes in the freezer.  To someone like me who apparently is easily amused, this is highly entertaining.

After a few years of tracing on a home made contraption consisting of a plastic laundry basket, a piece of plexiglass, and a clip-on lightbulb (which melted part of said plastic laundry basket), I invested in a large Light Tracer 2 light box.  It was $55 - $60 dollars at AC Moore even after the 55% discount, but well worth it.  To me, good tracing is the key to good embroidery.

In the interest of full disclosure I should add that I did not do my embroideries in backstitch as the directions called for.  I find that the backstitch causes me some hand pain, which sounds way better than admitting my backstitch stinks.  Instead, I did the outline stitch.


THANKS, CINDY!!  I can see that there is going to be a run on Pellon Shape Flex SF 101 at all JoAnn's across the USA...I sure wish JoAnn would consider moving to Canada...but that's a whole other blog post:o)!  Cindy also said that she didn't do the backstitch (found it too painful)...and I had never heard of the 'outline stitch'..so of course I 'googled it' and low and behold there are a ton of videos on how to do this stitch, so guess what I will be watching and doing today!  I will also be 'googling' AC Moores!  SEW much to do and find out about....THANK YOU, CINDY!!  Don't you love it when quilters share their experience, techniques and yes, SECRETS!!  Do tell...!

I can't have a post without pics...so thought I would show you how my orange peels are coming along...ten blocks all hand appliqued...

...and another ten prepped!  We are on a roll...OK, it's a slow roll but a roll none the less!




I am continuing to LOVE the heat resistant Mylar (which I bought at JoAnn's...such a poplar gal!)  I iron the heck out of the peels once the edges are turned under and the Mylar continues to never lose its shape!  Wish I could say the same for ME!) 

So there you have it...plenty of hand work to keep me out of trouble in the evenings while I 'watch' TV!   :o)

Cindy and I thank you for dropping by...don't we, Cindy?  I'm thinking Cindy should be writing her own blog...and soon!  I love her sense of humour...and I'm sure she has many more SECRETS to tell...we even have a name for her blog...Cindy's Sewing Secrets. Now say that ten times really fast!

Until NEXT time...

Have a super Saturday and Happy Quilting!~P and C

13 comments:

  1. Pellon Shape Flex is my choice for embroidery blocks. It is easy to apply and works so well. Love the Snowman quilt. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pellon Shape Flex is my choice for embroidery blocks. It is easy to apply and works so well. Love the Snowman quilt. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the great tips! I'm making my list for my next visit to JoAnn's at the end of the month. I wish JoAnn would come to Canada also. Sigh! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like all the A.C. Moored are along the east coast...darn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too like quilters who aren't afraid to share their knowledge. Have fun with those orange peels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another person who uses Mylar! I love the precision the applique has when I've ironed my pieces with Best Press over a Mylar template. Thanks for the other tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved having all the questions answered. Now for your orange peel. That is really coming along nice. I am sure you have already checked off a couple of your monthly projects! I would have to use the Heat and Bond lite and iron on. Then I could applique with machine. I know this isn't really the true applique method, but one has to improvise when you can't do hand work. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always nice to get tips from other Quilter's. Thanks for sharing, Cindy. Your orange peels are looking fabulous as I'm sure you are too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your orange peels. It's one of my absolute favourite designs.......and so gorgeous in red.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you again to Cindy for the info! I will be googling Light Tracer 2. I am loving your orange peels Paulette!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Cindy and I are sisters from another mother, lol!!!! Sounds like we learned from the same book. I use the Frixion pens too. LOVE your orange peels!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many thanks to Cindy for sharing her secrets! Yes... she has a way with the written word and I do hope she gives a go at blogging! :-) Love this snowman quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Sweet P & C for sharing the info. Quilters are the best! Ah...now to clip some coupons and head to JoAnn's. Love those red orange peels.

    ReplyDelete