Sunday, February 22, 2015

Garage Saling Palm Spring Style…

Sandy and I were up at the crack of dawn yesterday…(OK…8:30am is Sandy’s idea of the ‘crack of dawn’ but I’ll take it…we are, after all, on holidays!!)…singing ‘On the Road Again’…Thelma and Louise style… off on a Garage Saling adventure! 

The thing about GSing in Palm Springs is that you NEVER know what you will find!  For instance, at our first stop, the Garage Sale was hosted by two gentlemen who were trying to sell LEATHER undies…yup…they were black with silver studs and for men! (sorry…no pics!!) We giggled our way straight back to the car!  Then roared with laughter all the way to the next sale!  WHO is going to buy them…and what will they ‘catch’ if they do!!heeheehee

All thoughts of LEATHER UNDIES vanished when we pulled up to the second and LAST GS of the day…we just hit was the MOTHER LODE!!  Eureka!! 

What is it about Sandy and I…when we team up we seem to stumble onto Decease Quilters’ Garage Sale!  And oh man, talk about deals!!  They had the decease’s quilting stations set up on the lawn…a fancy-smancy sewing machine desk…pull out sides and all the bells and whistles for $20!!  Her drop leaf cutting station was $15!!  If we could have fit those into our RVs we would have SEW bought them!!

The ‘kids’ of the dearly departed wanted the Quilting stuff gone… “TAKE IT” was their motto!!  And take it we did!  Sandy bought Mama’s Pfaff Sewing Machine for $20…it works beautifully and embroiders as well as sews! (eBay is selling the same model for over $600!!) SCORE!  Sandy was dancing down the drive-way but still trying to look respectful and considerate to the family…however her shouts of SCORE! could be heard for miles around…!

FullSizeRender (4)

She also bought an Ottelite (the floor model kind) for $5 and a several bags of numerous other Quilting Stuff!

I did not do too shabby myself!!  Here’s my LOOT~ a container of rotary cutters, which I will share with my quilting daughter!

 IMG_3950

Check out the THIMBLE container that they came in!  Didn’t even notice that until I got home!  CUTE!

IMG_3951-001IMG_3952

Lots of do-dads, rulers, books and marking pens!

IMG_3953

Looks like Mama was a WOOLIE…love the handmade wool pincushion that was in with the rest of the ‘stuff’!

IMG_3954

Just before we said good-bye and pulled out…looking a little like the Clampetts heading for Palm Springs, they threw in two huge ‘complimentary’ boxes of Quilting Magazines!  Yeehaw,  Pa! 

NoteCaliforny is the place you ought to be
So they loaded up our truck and we moved to Beverly.NoteNote

Can we keep them-there-magozeens, Pa?

(OK…so did you get a visual of that…?!  Maybe this will help…)

the-beverly-hillbillies-truck

Needless to say…those magazines followed us home!  Can you guess how we spent the rest of our Saturday?  Yup, perusing magazines!  Looks like our ‘To Do Lists’ just got longer…a lot longer!

Have a Sunny Sunday and Happy Stitching!~P

27 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scored big that is for sure. It is a great feeling, I did get serger thread for 59 cents that was labeled $4.50. The tread is just so smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go buy a lottery ticket Paulette!!! :))) That poor deceased quilter is probably rolling in her grave knowing her kids sold her Pfaff for $20!! :))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's kind of sad and happy at the same time isn't it? Glad it's going to good homes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. I thought it must be April Fool's Day when I read about the Pfaff for $20. How could anyone sell one in working order for that little money. And why was it still at the sale waiting for someone to snap it up? I guess they did not need the money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never find yard sales with good things, but I don't go to too many, will have to stop at them, from now on. I think it might be the area too, kids there just don't care for quilting and crafts like they do in the north.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adventure! Well, you escaped the dragon at the first stop, and found the treasure at the second! LOL. As always, truth is stranger than fiction. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow....you guys got the deals of the century....poor mama is probably spinning in her grave.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yahoo. Jealous, but happy for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. You two scored big time. A working Pfaff for $20? Unreal! I'm coming down there to go with you next time you go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still hyperventilating for you two...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you 2 really scored BIG!!!!! Makes you think what the kids are going to do with all my Pfaff's????? I don't think any of them are going to be interested. So glad you made out so well and had such a great time doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paulette, is the little embroidered piece that reads friends gather here a pin cushion or a needle book? Hard to tell with everything you have in the photo.

    Enjoy your new tools.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a find, thanks for the laugh! At least the sewing stuff would now be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a find...both of you. Some folks have no idea about the value of a machine...lovely

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to have a talk with my family, lol!!!! Wow did you guys score - guess I should head west!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucky you !! Why does this never happen to me ??

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, you two were certainly lucky!!! Glad you had such a good day

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! What a treasure trove. But like others mentioned sad for the quilter and her work. Glad you skipped the leather undies, though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Paulette,
    i have the Pfaff creative 1473 CD (25 years!!!) and it was a very expensive sewing machine in the Netherlands! It is a very good machine so enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think mama quilter is happy her quilting collection was bought by 2 quilters that will be enjoying and appreciate her things and make beautiful quilts for their family and friends, just as she did in her quilting past. I picture her smiling down at you & Sandy as you were both so happy with your purchases. 🐝

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a score for Sandy !!! I have had my 1475 since I bought it new in 1991 for $3,000!!!!! Is a workhorse.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jealous of your finds. I never find deals like that in my area. Sad that the Children didn't know the value in their mother's passion. She had some good stuiff!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG, a Pfaff 1475.....WHAT A FIND! I live in Oceanside CA. I guess I will have to make a trip to Palm Springs for a garage sale shopping day. Mama knew some dedicated quilters would show up to buy her Pfaff 1475 and give the machine the TLC it deserves.

    ReplyDelete

  25. You are so funnnny! lol
    Sounds like you got some great deals. I hope real quilters like you get my stuff when I'm gone. Gals who will use and share around the extras.

    ReplyDelete