Monday, May 23, 2016

Under The Stars...DONE!

I blogged about this mat a couple of days ago...a UFO that had been gathering dust and was now finished... and  I was trying to figure out what to do with it?  Mat?  Pillow?  Wall hanging? 

Well....(she says with a smirk...:o)...  I found this old, long, skinny, FRAMED mirror in the garage...

I put it on the floor of my sewing room so that I could take a picture of it for my 'BEFORE' the make-over picture....  (Don't you love my new iPhone cover...stitched clam shells...It's reflected in the mirror!  I digress....)

I put the mat on top...EUREKA..it just fit!

I popped the mirror out and used it as a template to draw the shape onto a thin piece of wood, making it nice and easy for Hubby to cut it out for my new frame backing.
 The frame was dull looking so to spruce it up, I put two coats of clear Danish Oil on it. Oh, man I love this stuff!  Gives it a nice rich glow!  Then, while the frame was drying, I put wee dots of Weldbond Glue on the  backing wood to adhere my mat to and let it dry.  (I used books to weigh the mat down so it wouldn't wrinkle while drying).  When both were dry, I popped the mat/board into the frame, then I pounded some "U" brackets into the groove on the back to hold everything in place.  Done!

Cost of frame...$4!
 A finished UFO...priceless! haha

Here it is sitting on the piano waiting for a place to hang...That's the hard part...where to hang it?... Or maybe it will rest here for a while...it's not like anyone around here plays the piano...that is until the girls come home!

This was a 'Piece of Work' design called 'Under the Stars"!  I'm loving it!

Have a magical Monday and Happy Stitching!~P

19 comments:

  1. What a great finish....isn't it amazing what you can find hidden in the garage 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great finish....isn't it amazing what you can find hidden in the garage 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many great display ideas, Paulette! This is brilliant. And it's a lovely woolie piece, too.

    "Piece of Work," lol, what a great business name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! And, how clever and thrifty of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finished beautifully! You amaze me with your ability and creativity Paulette. You are one talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swooning down here in Texas!! Cute. Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you to have a garage filled with goodies! Nice finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant! They appear to be made for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That really came out nicely, beautiful idea for that piece.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fabulous framed, and also looks good on your piano. I think I'd leave it there for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The frame was meant to be with this fantastic wool piece. Love them both. I must add this wool project to me list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The frame and stitchery were made to be together....."a marriage made in heaven"!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so creative! I love everything about this cute project!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's adorable. I'm always amazed at how long I put off the final 'finishing'. I'm always glad when a project is done - why not do it sooner??? Only the Shadow knows! Great finish!! doni @ Oregon coast

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's adorable. I'm always amazed at how long I put off the final 'finishing'. I'm always glad when a project is done - why not do it sooner??? Only the Shadow knows! Great finish!! doni @ Oregon coast

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Paulette, your Under the stars quilted project is really beautiful, I love how it looks so lovely framed.
    It's good it is not an UFO anymore.

    ReplyDelete