Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Sweet...Sweet Memories!

Well...and I say this with a heavy heart... next month is going to be a SAD month for me and many, many other quilters!  The Country Loft Quilt Shop in LaMesa, CA is closing its doors for the last time.....Oh man...paste on that sad face!


The owners of the shop have decided to retire...and as much as I am sad about the shop closing, I am happy for them because retirement is out of this world FUN!! Imagine pouring your morning coffee...and not having to think about rushing out the door to work....YOU get to play all day IF YOU WANT TO...and that happens EVERY DAY!! How could I begrudge that to anyone?!  So I wish Kathy and Sharon (and her hubby) well and thank them for my many visits!

Meet Kathy...she was there to greet me and give me the royal treatment!  Happy retirement, Kathy!
                                 
I consider myself very fortunate to have visited this shop six times...and once at Christmas!! Talk about mind blowing experiences!!  What a shop it was!  One of the best quilt shops on the PLANET!!  And I am sincere when I say that!  I remember THAT FEELING upon entry to that shop...you know...when your heart beats so fast that you think you may be having 'the big one' but then realize that you don't REALLY care because you would be 'going out' happy...clutching that sweet bundle of wool and stack of patterns! haha Yup...it was here that I discovered Cheri Payne, JoAnn Mullaly and Kathy Cardiff!!  All designers extraordinaire!!  To see their quilts hanging was such a THRILL! I even got to meet JoAnn and Kathy!  What a thrill THAT was!

Here's a little sampling...the table as I entered the shop!!  Oh my...

Wools and every thread imaginable!!  And LOOK at the Kathy Cardiff patterns at the top of the picture!!  SWOON!

I was lucky enough to take my woolie friends Glynis, Claire, Sandy and Barb...and they all agreed that it was THE BEST shop EVER!

 I got to see Kathy Cardiff's 'Where the Cows Come Home' up close and personal!  And then Kathy ended up gifting me the BOOK so that I could make a Barn Quilt of my own!  I am planning on finishing this quilt off in June...to commemorate the Country Loft!

                                         
If you aren't familiar with the Country Loft Quilt Shop then you need to visit...through my pictures!!  Seriously there is nothing like it....

Go HERE to see my first visit to Country Loft...and meet JoAnn!!

Go HERE  and Here to experience 'my first time'!  Yes, it took me two days of blogging...to describe the experience...it was THAT good!!

My LAST visit is HERE...but be prepared for the UGLY CRY at the end...

If you want to experience my other other visits..(and they were equally as good)...then just go to the SEARCH BOX on the right hand of my Side BAR (bottom of the page) and type in 'The Country Loft'...but first pour yourself a coffee! You will be there for a good section of the day!  Let's hope that you are retired because you will be late for work if you're not!!

SO HAPPY RETIREMENT, SHARON AND KATHY AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO HELPED TO MAKE THIS SHOP SUCH A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE!  I know that this Canadian Snowbird will never EVER forget it...Ok...now comes the UGLY CRY...

                                                      
Seriously...it's a  happy cry!  It really is....

Have a Wicked Wednesday and Happy Stitching!~P

PS...I wonder if their on-line shop will remain open?  There maybe hope...Check it out HERE!  But better order NOW...you never know...they might really like this retirement gig!

15 comments:

  1. Lucky you that you got to visit so many times. Was on my bucket list, sad that I have to cross it off. But, retirement is good, so I don't blame them, they need to enjoy their new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you!!! I am so blessed to have visited last fall. It was such an incredible experience that I went back the next day LOL!!! I had hoped to visit one more time, but it is not to be... But as you said, I am happy for them and wish them health and happiness in retirement...
    Blessings, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sad to see any Shop close. Even for Retirement. I have enjoyed going with you on your visits through the BLOG. Hopefully another shop will take it's place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO sad to see so many shops closing. Our pfaff store is closing this month and i just got my new quilter, not too happy about that since she owes me a rebate and guess I will never see that.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a really excellent salute you gave to this store. So nice to give a tribute to a place that you and many others have enjoyed ๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a really excellent salute you gave to this store. So nice to give a tribute to a place that you and many others have enjoyed ๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have never been there, but your photos and description make me wish I could have the experience before the opportunity is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When a great quilt shop closes, it is like loosing a dear friend. Hopefully, as some of these gals retire, there will be new ones to take their place with the same enthusiasm, costumer service and wonderful shopping experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to visit the store. But I have enjoyed visiting through all your fabulous photos. Always a sad moment when a quilt shop closes. Hopefully, another one opens in its place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am grateful for visiting their shop through your blog. Thanks Paulette! It looks like an amazing shop and well loved by their customers. I'm happy for their retirement but sad to see another quilt shop close.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was fortunate enough to make it to the store a couple of years ago. You are right - it was awesome and then some!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad I was able to visit the Country Loft several times. JoAnns sister Kathy was there to guide me through seeing the Folk Branches book quilts that were in the process of being hung. Joann was coming later but I wasn't able to stay to meet her.

    The nooks and crannies that were filled with inspiration were fun to find. Their shed held a few treats for me also.

    May they all enjoy the party to celebrate in June. If I wasn't at a retreat I just might have driven down for one last visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I know what you mean. If my favorite shop was closing, I don't know what I'd do, but I would wish her every happiness. I have 5 more years before retirement so keep the happy talk to a minimum (LOL). Wishing you happy stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Makes me sad too, loosing another great shop. I'm happy I had one visit to this awesome shop. Wish there had been more. Now to look back at the memories you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, so sad to see any quilt shop close, but this one was just so special. But I'm also happy they are now off to enjoy retirement.

    QuiltShopGal
    www.quiltshopgal.com

    ReplyDelete