Monday, June 6, 2016

It was a Slice!

Oh my goodness...it's been hot here on the West Coast!  So what do you when the weather is hot...?


You pull out your green fabrics...

 And you pull your reds....
 And you make some crisp, cool, refreshing watermelon slices!


Remember those improv Christmas Trees that I made back in December...well I did much the same thing here, only turned the trees into watermelon slices!  Just leave out the tree trunk!  Here's the tutorial on how to make the trees HERE...thanks to Diary of a Quilter!

I tweaked it a bit...Here's what I did it....I drew my watermelon shape on the back of the red fabric (which is the top fabric), laid my background  fabric face up (on the bottom) and placed the watermelon red facing down on top...lined up my stitching line about 1/4" away from the edge of the bottom fabric and stitched on the right hand stitching line, then trimmed  the corner and pressed to the background , then did the same to the other side!  Watermelon slice is complete...trim to 4" and add the 1" rind.  Easy-pease!

Twelve done...and because I drew my watermelon shape on the back of each red square, each slice is different and a bit quirky!  

I'm thinking that this will be some kind of a border...for a small table topper...  Regardless of what it turns out to be, it was a cool and refreshing thing to do on a very hot 29C kind of day!
SEW, stay tuned!!  One thing is for sure...it's been a SLICE!!

Have a magical Monday and Happy Stitching!~P

17 comments:

  1. Love it! Awesome idea. You are the clever one. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, your imagination is incredible. I feel like making one myself. It's too hot to garden! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great piece for summer and it is hot here too, but then it gets cool, so doesn't help for swimming.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you maybe you should have a big unsliced watermelon in the centre! Stay cool! My car read 34c while out driving yesterday! Too early to be this hot here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! Thanks for sharing! I'm off to check out my red and greens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are HOT here in my part of OR--95. Didn't move from FL to be hot. Stayed in the house with the a/c, no outside for me. Your watermelons are darling, can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet idea ;-) Can't wait to see what you do next. Actually, can't wait till the good watermelon shows up at the Farmer's Market either! This is going to be a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your watermelon slices! They remind me of a summer picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! I don't like to eat watermelon but I can certainly appreciate how beautiful a slice of watermelon looks, both real and fabric.
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those! I can't wait to see what comes next.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. my favorite fruit! clever clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are lovely, Paulette, what a great idea! I have a feeling that air conditioner sales are on the rise on the Island. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could eat a slice right now.

    ReplyDelete