Thursday, June 30, 2016

A Slice to Make!

A while back, my friend Claire and I got on the subject of Watermelon Quilts...both of us wanted to make one...she had the pattern by Cheri Payne called 'Watermelon Slices' and I wanted to try to make 'improv' watermelon slices...so we each did our own thing....Here are the results!

Here's Claire's 'Watermelon Slices'...is this not the sweetest summer quilt EVER!!  I LOVE IT!!


Claire tweaked Cheri's pattern a bit by making a paper pieced pattern to make the slices.  She said it just made the slices faster and easier to make.  Now Claire needs to stitch down the wool crow and quilt the mat and she is done!  After seeing Claire's quilt, I hate to show you mine!  It's not nearly as cute!  You can't beat a Cheri Payne design!  Check out her patterns HERE!

But share I will...here's my 'Life's a Picnic'...I made the slices just like I made the Christmas Tree Quilt last Winter...you can see that quilt HERE and there is a tutorial link provided.  The only difference in making a watermelon slice vs. a tree is, instead of a tree trunk, I sewed on the green watermelon rind.  VERY easy and no two slices are the same.

I still need to stitch the wool applique pieces down and stitch the ant's legs and antennae. 

I also want to embroider "Life's a Picnic" above the wool watermelon.
You might be able to see my sketch of that better in this picture...

To make the Watermelon and ants I used templates provided in the book by Art to Heart called  "Easy Does It For Summer" (patterns to make the Summer towels).

I will show you both of our wall hanging/table toppers when we are finished!  We want them completed before Summer is over...sooner rather than later!

Claire's Watermelon project is sure calling my name...I will have to sweet talk her into loaning me the pattern.  Perhaps a trade is in order!  After all, you can never have too many watermelon quilt...right?! :o)  Besides, they are a slice to make!

Have a thrilling Thursday and Happy Quilting!~P

17 comments:

  1. Both quilts are very cute! As sometimes happens (I think) - we get tired of looking at what we are working on ourselves and it "loses" a bit of its charm. When you pull it out next year after not seeing it for awhile you will again love your little watermelons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, Cheri's design is adorable, but yours is sensational!! Talk about a great summer quilt! Why are we always so hard on ourselves??? I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The watermelons almost make me thirsty! I like your way of combining details from different patterns and designing your own quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Claire have made some amazing quilts! Have fun with those ant legs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them both!!!
    Blessings, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both your pieces are sweet, hard to choose a favourite. Now to get that embroidery done, quilted and onto the next version!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH WOW! I love them both! Beautiful homespun fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're both absolutely adorable! If they were any more mouth watering you might have real ants show up...maybe even Yogi & Boo Boo for a Pic-a-nic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be happy with either quilt--they are both charming!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both quilts are just darned cute! You guys are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you both had made such beautiful quilts, so fresh and joyful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think they are both Wonderful Watermelon quilts! I love the addition of the ants on yours and the saying will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun quilts, they certainly make me smile and think of warm summer days - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terrific quilts...I LOVE the ants ...such a great summer small quilt...so fun 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now everyone is going to want a watermelon quilt. Both quilts are delightful and will be fun to use this summer. ( that was my encouragement for you to keep working on it)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think both quilts are cuter than cute. My daughters both love watermelon -- I don't know where they got that gene because it didn't come from me! -- so maybe I should get busy and make them both a watermelon quilt. Thanks for sharing.
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete